Kubota recommended coolant or....

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Put my block heater in tonight and curious if anyone is running other than the green stuff? I have a bunch of OAT coolant from previous fords.....

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I replaced the Kubota green in my previous L3410 with HOAT coolant (Zerex G05) around 2005 and all was good for the next decade. I was careful to fully flush the system, and changed it out once or twice over the years. Same switch with all other vehicles at the time, including a GM product that had an engine replacement at 60k miles prior to owning. I strongly suspect the GM was ruined by a cooling issue relating to DexCool, but I do not know this to be a fact.

I don't claim to be as expert in coolant technology, but I would not put Ford Orange (or DexCool) coolant in a vehicle not specifically designed for it. For starters, the past 3 Kubotas I have owned do not have sealed cooling systems (non pressure recovery tanks), which would allow coolant to be exposed to air. I cleaned a lot of sludge out of the recovery tank on that GM mentioned above. There is also the matter of gasket and seal material compatibility with these coolants. No idea what that means for Kubota products, but I do know that DexCool itself has not changed. GM (and Ford) now use materials compatible with the coolant.
Again... not an expert here, jmho.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have had good success with Celcius coolant. Probably a canadian thing.
Universal coolant. I stock one coolant and it save a lot of hassle.

Mopar long life if not replaced after its life cycle will leave deposits eventually plugging rad.
Gm dexcool reacts with plastic components causing them to fail. And is not friendly with green coolant, will eventually turn to mud if mixed.

Ford Gold coolant has not created any issues that i am aware of.

Long life coolant and de-mineralized water will protect your cooling system the best.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
The oat stuff I have is the zerex g05. It was called for in both the previous ford vehicles we owned.

sent from a field

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I have had good success with Celcius coolant. Probably a canadian thing.
Universal coolant. I stock one coolant and it save a lot of hassle.

Mopar long life if not replaced after its life cycle will leave deposits eventually plugging rad.
Gm dexcool reacts with plastic components causing them to fail. And is not friendly with green coolant, will eventually turn to mud if mixed.

Ford Gold coolant has not created any issues that i am aware of.

Long life coolant and de-mineralized water will protect your cooling system the best.
The Ford gold coolant was said to be one of the causes of all the 6.0L Powerstroke failures. It has been said that the silicates drop out of that coolant and that is what plugged the EGR and oil coolers, thus causing the flash boils that push out the head gaskets.

I'm switching my Kubota and all my other stuff over to Peak Final Charge Global.
http://www.peakhd.com/product-lines/final-charge/about/

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
The oat stuff I have is the zerex g05. It was called for in both the previous ford vehicles we owned.

sent from a field
Zerex G05 is a HOAT coolant. You are correct that it is the same as the Ford gold used in pre 2011 Fords. The newer Ford Orange is the same as DexCool, and I would not use it in a vehicle not specifically designed for it.
The G05 worked well in my L3410 and ZD326 over the years. I will probably change my L4060 over to G05 in the spring.

davidmac50

Equipment
L4600
Aug 31, 2016
SUMMIT, MS. USA
The blue coolant that I installed in my L4600 is Rotella ELC. It is mainly for diesels in large trucks. The label on the container states it is good for 650,000 miles or 12,000 hours.

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
Put my block heater in tonight and curious if anyone is running other than the green stuff? I have a bunch of OAT coolant from previous fords.....
eipo,

This spring I drained and flushed the cooling system on my BX2350. I put in the Rotella ELC (Red Propylene Glycol) and I notice that it runs about 15 degrees cooler under heavy mowing than it did with the green ethylene glycol from the factory. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Where are you guys getting the Rotella coolant?

sent from a field

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Nevermind. I see my local tsc has it. Don't remember seeing it there but have never looked.

sent from a field

MaleHoe

Equipment
Kubota B2620 TLB, JD X495
Jun 23, 2016
Latrobe PA
eipo,

This spring I drained and flushed the cooling system on my BX2350. I put in the Rotella ELC (Red Propylene Glycol) and I notice that it runs about 15 degrees cooler under heavy mowing than it did with the green ethylene glycol from the factory. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave
I'm not doubting what you say, just confused on what to buy.

I thought ethylene glycol was better, propylene glycol isn't as toxic.

And Kubota recommends ethylene glycol.

So I looking it up.

Propylene Glycol vs Ethylene Glycol

Between the two, ethylene glycol (C2H6O2) is a better heat transfer fluid than propylene glycol (C3H8O2). Propylene glycol is less toxic and is considered when toxicity is a concern.

I'm trying to decide what to buy tomorrow, flushing cooling system, installing a block heater and changing the coolant. The more I read on this subject the more confused I become.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I just fell on a deal on anti-freeze, you guys may want to check with your local fuel/oil supplier to see what they have. I got standard green for $6.50 a gallon. Parts store across the street had their store brand on sale for $13.99 so I thought I got a good deal. Just passing it on...

chickenfriend

Jul 2, 2016
FR, VA
I use John Deere Coolguard II in everything. It has the anti-cavitation additives for diesels.

Deere has done lots of research with coolants, and the ASTM cavitation test is sometimes referred to as the John Deere Cavitation Test.

As far as I know, it is truly universal for tractors, trucks, European, American, and Asian automobiles.

I am not sure, but I think at first, they were branding it as lifetime, but last I looked they now say 6 years.

I buy it in the 2.5 gallon container. It is pre-mixed.

Last edited: