kubota pto yellow handle lever

brycetboy1

Equipment
kubota L2800
Oct 8, 2014
knoxville,tennessee
i have L2800, pto issue. i start my tractor, get the rpm's to pto speed, i then push in the clutch and then push the yellow handle to the right of the seat, i then slowly let out the clutch to engage the bush hog. nothing happens, the pto wont engage and start the bush hogg. it is my understanding it may be the yellow handle cable lever on the right, the cable may be broken inside the black plastic covering the cable. i reach just under the seat and grab the metal cable and have another move the lever back and forth but i cant feel the metal cable moving. im not an experinced tractor man, need some valued help here and appreciate all the help i can get. thanks

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
First off, you don't want to engage your PTO at high RPM, especially with the brush mower attached. That puts a lot of stress on parts.

I'm not sure about your PTO lever but it could be that the shear bolt in the brush mower drive train is broken. Engaging the PTO at high rpm could do that. I engage mine at around 1,000 rpm and once engaged, then I increase the rpms up to the PTO speed.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Always engage the pto at idle. Considering how you have been doing it who knows what has happened. It may be just a cable that has come disconnected. It may be more serious.

brycetboy1

Equipment
kubota L2800
Oct 8, 2014
knoxville,tennessee
can anyone give me directions on how to replace the pto cable? mine L2800 will not engage when i move the yellow handle which is located to the right of the drivers seat. the sheer pins are fine, i dont know if i need a new cable or if it can be adjusted. first time i have ever had any issues with this tractor

Daveknowshow

Equipment
kubota l2800 fel bh75 woods mower
Dec 11, 2013
Chesterfield Virginia
always engage pto at slowest idle, release clutch and idle up to 540. the yellow control lever is connected to a cable, the other end of that cable move a lever that will stick. spray it will penetrating oil and work it back and forth from underneath until its unstuck. the l2800 has this issue as does many other tractors. its not always a broken cable although it could be. generally its just a sticky lever or broken return spring. follow the cable and you will see what I'm referring to. mine was simply stuck and working back and forth and a little oil / wd40 did the trick!

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
i have L2800, pto issue. i start my tractor, get the rpm's to pto speed, i then push in the clutch and then push the yellow handle to the right of the seat, i then slowly let out the clutch to engage the bush hog. nothing happens, the pto wont engage and start the bush hogg. it is my understanding it may be the yellow handle cable lever on the right, the cable may be broken inside the black plastic covering the cable. i reach just under the seat and grab the metal cable and have another move the lever back and forth but i cant feel the metal cable moving. im not an experinced tractor man, need some valued help here and appreciate all the help i can get. thanks
brycetboy1,

Double ditto takeoff the PTO lever at idle with clutch in. Let clutch out slowly.

Burt

Trkr

Feb 7, 2015
Baltimore County,Md
Don't know about the L2800,but on my L2900,the pto lever to the lower right of the seat,yellow knob,is the lever that chooses the mid mount pto or the rear pto.My pto engagement is behind me on the right side,almost back by my rear window,(Simms Cab).Can't see it in this pic.Mine is also the Independent pto,which has its own clutch and has nothing to do with the foot clutch.
Does your tractor have a pto lever back on the right side behind you?

Geez,just looked at the date on the op's question,hope he has figured it out by now!

Last edited: