Kubota L185 DT front axle oil change

obelix

Equipment
Kubota L 1801 DT
Jun 15, 2020
Portugal
Hello, am new to this site, and also owning a tractor.
I found some related threads to front axle oil changes, but am a bit confused, hopefully someone can help.

I actually own a L1801DT, but from reading a bit I think it is very similar to the L185DT.

Front axle oil specs say: (from: https://www.tractor-specs.net/kubota/kubo-l185.html)

Front axle differential case(4WD)
1.1 L (1.16 US. qts., 0.97 Imp. qts.)

Front axle outer drive case (4WD) – each
0.8 L (0.85 US. qts., 0.7 Imp. qts.)

First question: I was able to drain the oil from both outer drive cases, and the diff case.
the fill plugs for the diff case appear to be the two large plugs on top of each front axle housing... hard to miss those. When I fill into them, it drains out of the middle diff case drain plug. But where are the fill plugs for the outer drive cases?

Images below are rear and front views. My finger is pointing at the drain plug. Could someone please comment on where I can find the fill plug?
Or are all the cases connected, and use the same 2 fill plugs on top of axle housing? After driving for a bit to distribute the oil, I checked both outer case drain plugs and nothing came out, so either the oil hasn't distributed for some reason, or there are seperate fill plugs.

Is it possible to overfill these cases?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Ben

kubota1.jpg

kubota2.jpg

NorthBC

Equipment
Kubota L1501DT
Jun 30, 2021
Fort St John, BC
Since it was over a year ago, you have probably already figured this out, but I am adding a comment here for future searchers! I have the L1501DT (L185DT) and the front axle looks the same as your L1801DT. The fluid in the outer drive cases are not connected with the axle fluid. The fill port for the outer drive cases is mostly hidden behind the wheel and is partially visible in your first photo. You will need a flex hose to fill or just remove the front wheel. There is no fill level port on either the axle or drive case so you must measure first. If you have a slow leak then it can be difficult to know how much fluid to add!
fill port.jpg
Fill port.jpg

Last edited: