Kubota L1500/L175 fuel tank removal

jl.green

Equipment
Kubota L1500
Oct 3, 2013
Chipley, FL
Hello. I'm new to the country life and tractor ownership. I recently aquired a L1500 in very good shape (except the steering box). I'm going to fix the steering box, but I need to take off the steering wheel, revome the dash, and finally remove the fuel tank before I can start work. If anyone has any suggestions or instructions they would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there a trick to pulling off the steering wheel? I've removed the nut and washer. I've used a gear puller and even wrapped the base of the steering wheel with a chain for grip. Nothing. That thing wont budge. I'm about to cut the steering shaft just below the steering wheel since I have to replace the steering shaft anyway. Thanks for reading this and hopefully someone out there has had the same questions.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello. I'm new to the country life and tractor ownership. I recently aquired a L1500 in very good shape (except the steering box). I'm going to fix the steering box, but I need to take off the steering wheel, revome the dash, and finally remove the fuel tank before I can start work. If anyone has any suggestions or instructions they would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there a trick to pulling off the steering wheel? I've removed the nut and washer. I've used a gear puller and even wrapped the base of the steering wheel with a chain for grip. Nothing. That thing wont budge. I'm about to cut the steering shaft just below the steering wheel since I have to replace the steering shaft anyway. Thanks for reading this and hopefully someone out there has had the same questions.
Lots of ways to skin that CAT, even if you cut the shaft - still gotta get the wheel off.

Soak the %@##@! with 50-50 ATF-Acetone mix (found to be the best of all solutions - or try anything else you wish - don't use wd40 or anything like that, pb blaster, kroil etc....will be ok)Soak and soak some more.

After you soak it to death, place the nut back on, spin it all the way on, but allow a 1/16 before it hits home. Make sure that no bolt is sticking up through the nut. Have someone pull like he!! on the wheel as someone else smacks the nut with a BFH - don't loose any friends here!;), the puller might work here too, the "shock" of the vibration after being soaked should be enough to get it unstuck.

lastly - heat heat baby! Don't take a touch to it, a rosebud tip will be fine. Place puller on it, tighten down as tight as you can, heat wheel and bolt, heat evenly and then spin the wrench a bit more, the heat and the soaking should be enough to set it free:D

be careful with heat and the mixture......the should be NO liquid anywhere near the wheel by the time you fire up the heat.

report back!