Kubota D1301BH replacement options?

valiantnz

Equipment
Kubota KH15
Oct 10, 2023
New Zealand
Hi all,
I've been looking at several posts here and there seem to be some knowledgeable people here so thought I would ask a question -
I have a KH15 digger (does anyone have any specs for it?) with a D1301BH that I recently bought with a bad engine, and talking to the tractor wrecker I've dealt with for several years, he has a couple of options -
#1 - a V1500-A out of a L285 (I'm guessing that its an older model)
#2 - a V1505 out of a mower (I see they are still producing them)
All I need is to know whether or not I can bolt the flywheel and back plate (and the inj. pump mounted hydraulic pump) onto either of those motors? I can modify the front mounts so that's not an issue for me.
Many thanks in advance for your replies!
Valiant

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Highly unlikely
I do believe the bolt pattern changes and most certainly the flywheel changed.
That is a huge jump from a 3 cylinder series 1 engine, to a 4 cylinder series 5 engine.
I don't even think the drive for the hydraulics would be the same.

valiantnz

Equipment
Kubota KH15
Oct 10, 2023
New Zealand
Highly unlikely
I do believe the bolt pattern changes and most certainly the flywheel changed.
That is a huge jump from a 3 cylinder series 1 engine, to a 4 cylinder series 5 engine.
I don't even think the drive for the hydraulics would be the same.
Thanks for that. Is the V1500-A even a slight possibility? or what other engines would go without trouble? There are two large pumps off the flywheel, and one smaller one (likely for the blade) off the back of the inj pump. Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for that. Is the V1500-A even a slight possibility? or what other engines would go without trouble? There are two large pumps off the flywheel, and one smaller one (likely for the blade) off the back of the inj pump. Thanks
No the V1500-A is a bad option too, there is quite a few incompatibility's.

Let me see what other options you might have.
What is wrong with the D1301 that is in there?

Last edited:

valiantnz

Equipment
Kubota KH15
Oct 10, 2023
New Zealand
No the V1500-A is a bad option too, there is quite a few incompatibility's.

Let me see what other options you might have.
What is wrong with the D1301 that is in there?
Basically it takes a fair bit to start, low oil pressure, heavy breathing, low power, and once up to speed any lugging makes it sound like it is running on two cylinders. Also a bit of a knock higher up when hot. I was thinking if there was an alternative engine available it would be far cheaper then rebuilding this one, and also the added advantage of a bit of extra counterweight. BTW, what does the BH stand for? Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Basically it takes a fair bit to start, low oil pressure, heavy breathing, low power, and once up to speed any lugging makes it sound like it is running on two cylinders. Also a bit of a knock higher up when hot. I was thinking if there was an alternative engine available it would be far cheaper then rebuilding this one, and also the added advantage of a bit of extra counterweight. BTW, what does the BH stand for? Thanks
Smoke?
Blow-by?

Could be as simple as needing new injectors?
There are quite a few factors that can cause some if not all of your problems.

As for the BH, well there is no good documentation on what the letters mean on these older engines.
It has to do with external bolt on parts mostly, things like throttle linkages, intake and exhaust manifolds, water pump, and flywheels.
And on some it has to do with the option to run a hydraulic pump off the fuel cam.

valiantnz

Equipment
Kubota KH15
Oct 10, 2023
New Zealand
Smoke?
Blow-by?

Could be as simple as needing new injectors?
There are quite a few factors that can cause some if not all of your problems.

As for the BH, well there is no good documentation on what the letters mean on these older engines.
It has to do with external bolt on parts mostly, things like throttle linkages, intake and exhaust manifolds, water pump, and flywheels.
And on some it has to do with the option to run a hydraulic pump off the fuel cam.

Just thought that I'd post a follow-up on the digger engine - I ended up taking the V1500-A, and if it didn't work, he would take it back. The backplate, flywheel and front mounts were all completely compatible - as in, it bolted straight in. It is 90cm longer, but I have the extra room so that wasn't an issue. The pump drive is slightly different, but it has a pump on it already, and the suction and pressure lines bolted straight on. It has far more power at an idle then the original engine had at full RPM, so that's good! Many thanks for your help.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just thought that I'd post a follow-up on the digger engine - I ended up taking the V1500-A, and if it didn't work, he would take it back. The backplate, flywheel and front mounts were all completely compatible - as in, it bolted straight in. It is 90cm longer, but I have the extra room so that wasn't an issue. The pump drive is slightly different, but it has a pump on it already, and the suction and pressure lines bolted straight on. It has far more power at an idle then the original engine had at full RPM, so that's good! Many thanks for your help.
Well that is interesting to learn!