Is the M5660 right for me?

Murorange

Jan 30, 2020
Chapin, SC
Just bought about 115 acres for a recreational tract and I’m in the market for a new tractor (currently have a Ford 8N and 9N, no FEL) that will be suitable to handle the property. I’ve found a decent deal on a local M5660SUHD 4wd that is low hour and great condition. Wondering if that’s a good match for what I’m planning to use it for. In addition to FEL, I plan on a bush hog, box blade, grapple and disc harrow. Likely add other implements along (I also have some existing such as auger, smaller harrow, broadcast spreader, cultipacker, etc).

Some specifics:

About 1/6th of property borders a river. Will be removing some brush/debris that occasional floodwaters bring.

The property was timbered 10 years (+/-) ago, but not replanted. Has a mix of pines, cedar, oak and of course some of the less desirables such as gum. I plan to leave some areas as is for wildlife and then thin others, probably planting some pines for future timber value.

Will be using it for a lot of cleanup, burning brush, etc for a while as I try and get the property in order.

There’s about a 10 acre field that I plan to plant each spring. I also plan to have several smaller foodplots that I’ll keep planted year round.

The main road into the property needs some TLC. I’ll be removing some ruts, leveling and applying gravel in the wetter areas. Likely won’t gravel the entire road.

Lot of Bush hog work and clearing/maintaining smaller trails for UTV access. There are a fair number of existing trails, but they need some work as they haven’t been maintained the last few years.

There is also a pond and smaller feeder stream that I need to clean around.

I would also occasionally use it around the house, which is about 30 minutes away and on 3 acres, including a small veg garden area.

I appreciate any thoughts on the 5660 as well as others I should be considering.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is kind of like asking us to pick your wife for you. :rolleyes:

Probably not the best thing to do! :p

Well the tractor do what you want it to do, yep it's sized about right for the tasks that your wanting to do, that's the best I can say! ;)

Murorange

Jan 30, 2020
Chapin, SC
Thanks. I guess that’s what I’m asking: would this be appropriate size and model for the uses above? Sounds like it would be based on you comments.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks. I guess that’s what I’m asking: would this be appropriate size and model for the uses above? Sounds like it would be based on you comments.
Sorry, your new, I was only poking you for fun! :D

Yep that's a good strong tractor, with a lot of options open to it's uses! ;)

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
Look at where you want to go, Is it physically too big? If not, it sounds like a good fit.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
It would be a great tractor for you intended uses with a great power to weight ratio.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
In Ontario Canada you get exempted from sales tax on tractors over 60 PTO HP because they are considered farm use. It would be worth checking with your local dealer if there are any savings to be had based on the machine size.

For your acreage it wouldnt hurt to have a bigger tractor. Id want a bigger capacity loader with front and rear remotes for running grapples and TNT. Get a HD box blade.