Inner ball joint boot replacement for a B2601 or B2301

Farmer Brian

Equipment
B2301 & RTV 500
Jan 20, 2021
Fort Erie Ontario Canada
Has anyone out there found yet an aftermarket inner ball joint dust boot replacement for either their B2301 or B2601? These get easily torn and are only available from Kubota if you buy the entire ball joint assembly.
E5067246-78C0-4ABE-9616-A23B24F38CB0.jpeg

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I can not help with an answer to your question for a replacement, but can say it sure looks like if all else failed, you could pull a piece of bicycle inner tube over it, and pump it full of grease, and squeeze the two ends with zip ties and be home free for a while...

Hopefully someone with a real answer will contribute.

Reactions: 1 user

Farmer Brian

Equipment
B2301 & RTV 500
Jan 20, 2021
Fort Erie Ontario Canada
I can not help with an answer to your question for a replacement, but can say it sure looks like if all else failed, you could pull a piece of bicycle inner tube over it, and pump it full of grease, and squeeze the two ends with zip ties and be home free for a while...

Any idea is welcome, it gets the wheels turning for sure. Thanks

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Liked Henro’s comment because it’s what I did on my inner tie rod boot repair. I had some sheets of nitrile rubber left over from fabricating a large door-seal. I cut a rectangle about 5” X 6” and wrapped it twice-around (leaving the seam at the bottom) and used stainless-steel wire wrapped twice then twisted around the ends to close it up. It’s lasted two years now and is a permanent fix as far as I’m concerned.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I will say, you don't ever want to replace the inner radial joint, ever. It's a wallet drainer no matter what you get (OEM or Aftermarket). Seal it up, keep it grease filled and it lasts the life of the tractor. Running with a compromised boot allows dirt and grit in the joint and destroys it.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Liked Henro’s comment because it’s what I did on my inner tie rod boot repair. I had some sheets of nitrile rubber left over from fabricating a large door-seal. I cut a rectangle about 5” X 6” and wrapped it twice-around (leaving the seam at the bottom) and used stainless-steel wire wrapped twice then twisted around the ends to close it up. It’s lasted two years now and is a permanent fix as far as I’m concerned.
Actually Geohorn's solution is even better...no need to disassemble anything! (y)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Looking at your picture, I'd say you already have some dirt and grit in it. Think I'd flush it out with brake aerosol non chlorinated brake cleaner, blow it out with compressed air and then hand pack it with good quality chassis grease and then enclose it filling the enclosure with more grease. Those radial joints if dry, wear quickly.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’ll add that it’s a simple matter for me to clip the safety-wire I wrapped around the ends of the rubber... then service the joint with grease... then re-wrap and safety-wire it closed again. My 600 hr service is coming up and I plan to do that when I change all the fluids and filters.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Glad thebicman posted that link!:cool:

That should help many folks. There looks to be several/many P/N's there.

Ridiculous to have to buy a tie rod just to get the boot...

Over the years, we've had several threads on tie rod boots. Most about BX boots - - they don't last long.

There were some P/N's posted for BX boots.

We had a OTT member, Toneloc, selling some better than OEM. I got them for my BX. Seemed like they fit B's also. I think Toneloc is not doing them anymore here on OTT.

I did a quick search for "tie rod boots." Found a couple threads about BX boots, but i think some were using on B's..

May not help your cause, but throwing them out just in case it can help.

Inner + Outer Tie Rod Boot Kit - Now available $19.95! | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

Bx Series - Inner tie rod replacement boots | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
FYI, the boots will fit the bigger Kubota's as well because they are stretchy and the securing ring (you can use the original one too, will expand to fit a larger joint. Having to buy a new joint (expensive) is highway robbery for a couple buck boot.

Actually, all the Kubota rubber boots for items like shift levers and FWA actuators are all expensive. I had to replace the main shift boot on my open station M9 because it was torn and a torn boot is a great place for water to get in the gearcase, was almost 30 bucks. 30 bucks for a small black rubber pleated boot (no hardware) is highway robbery but Kubota was the only option. I'm careful where I put my feet now.

Farmer Brian

Equipment
B2301 & RTV 500
Jan 20, 2021
Fort Erie Ontario Canada
Looking at your picture, I'd say you already have some dirt and grit in it. Think I'd flush it out with brake aerosol non chlorinated brake cleaner, blow it out with compressed air and then hand pack it with good quality chassis grease and then enclose it filling the enclosure with more grease. Those radial joints if dry, wear quickly.
Thanks for that tip, I’ll get at it sooner than later.

Farmer Brian

Equipment
B2301 & RTV 500
Jan 20, 2021
Fort Erie Ontario Canada
Actually Geohorn's solution is even better...no need to disassemble anything! (y)
I’m going to try your idea. But will take it one step further. I will try the “permex”brand of non silicone permanent rubber adhesive. Once I’ve wrapped it I will adhesive the second wrap to the first, that way I’m hoping I can keep it sealed in the middle once the ends get the s/s wire wrap.

Goat runner

Equipment
2019 Kubota 2601 bucket- loader. carry all. trailer hitch.
Jun 18, 2021
Farmington,Missouri

I bought these on eBay and was told that they would work on a B2601. They are for a BX that do work on inside boots of the B2601. A person has to enlarge the hole of the bigger nylon bushing to fit the tip of the exposed metal at the end of boot. Then slide the skinny bushing against the larger and insert the keeper ring. ADA8158F-E88A-4A3A-9EED-6C936106A9C8.jpeg
ADA8158F-E88A-4A3A-9EED-6C936106A9C8.jpeg

Attachments

Tornado Bones

Equipment
Oct 7, 2023
Tennessee
I'm not liking the idea of that ball joint boot adapted to the task of tie rod boot. Yeah, polyurethane is a superior material (I'm a polymer chemist) but I'd like to see better seals at both ends of the boot. My boots on a 2021 B2601 are 11mm x 32mm x 30mm tall. 11mm allows the lip to Naturally settle fully into its sealing groove on the small end, so its not fighting to wallow out from under the spring clip. The oem boots are a "type 2" boot based on the 2-stage bellows design. This is not a common size by various boot mfgrs and it's downright insulting that Kubota won't sell the replacement. The cheaper the boot, the more $190 tie rod ends they sell. There is probably a similar size in silicon or polyurethane out there that will fit and accept the same split rings to seal both ends. Poly can stretch a little and still offer good service life but again, I'd like a real seal at both ends. I'm going to continue to search and I'll do Kubotas job by informing the group if I come up w a part number. Don't get me wrong. I love my kubotas and I've even given them ladies names. They don't need to pull this crap on us.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I replaced one of the inner boots today on my 250 hr BX1880 that had been previously replaced by the dealer under warranty. In my opinion, the Bota Products boot is better than nothing. It is not retained on the large end and it is not flexible enough to act as boot. It is barely fixed on the small end by the plastic washers and C clip and the large end acts as a wiper as the joint rotates but not as seal.

IMG_20231009_104112.jpg

IMG_20231009_151626.jpg

Tornado Bones

Equipment
Oct 7, 2023
Tennessee
That's what I'm talking about. It's a ball joint boot faking as a tie rod boot. On a ball, it's captive between the steering knuckle and the shoulder of the ball joint. It's a tight enough fit that it pushes hard end-to-end and stays sealed for a ball joint application. Yes, what you have is better than nothing... kind of like the original crappy kubota part. They will both eventually allow moisture and contamination into the joint. My original inner tie rod boots on my B2601 (said to be the same size as Bx series) measures exactly 11mm x 32mm x 30mm wide. This is for a 3 yr old used part and the 30 could be longer due to stretching, considering most boot manufacturers standardize around 22- 25mm and it's the direction that the "bellows" can extend on the part. Mine failed at less than 3 yrs! My original part looks to be neoprene or maybe buna-n rubber (black). Yours look like another type of polymer since its translucent or else the material is the same rubber just not reinforced with carbon black. That would be worse because the black gives tear resistance to rubber!

There's no excuse for Kubota to not to spec a polyurethane part from their parts manufacturer for a 4WD off road piece of equipment like this. Yeah poly is more expensive (maybe $10 instead of $5) but I believe they could easily source this. I paid over $20,000 for my Kubota and this is what i get?? I have thousands of hours on other machines with no boot failures.

I'm a research junkie as you might guess. I've been a chemist for 40yrs and a mechanic for 50yrs. I'm researching boots that may fit. I have several from different mfgrs parts on order. Seems like most come from eastern Europe. I'll advise this thread on the quality and fit. I've seen some talk and advertisements for replacement boots with a 14mm small hole. This does not fit my machine. Yes the shaft on the tie rod end is 14mm but it is grooved down to seat an 11mm lip on its boot. I've tried a 14mm and it looks like it wants to wallow out from under the safety wire I used to secure it because it's clamped so much smaller than its original diameter when I try to seat it in the groove. Polyurethane can stretch a little without leading to early failure, so on the big end you can easily stretch poly a few mm to get a good fit. if anyone else finds a close enough fit... let me know!!

Tornado Bones

Equipment
Oct 7, 2023
Tennessee
Also, did you say 250hrs? That diesel is hardly broken in!! That original boot looks 10yrs old, at least! I bought a handful of Kubota tractors around year 2000. THEY STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL BOOTS. I currently own one personal B series with 390 hrs and just had a boot failure. WTF