Inflaion V/S Recession

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
For a while now, I have been thinking about a new quick connect 16" excavator bucket for my L48 backhoe.
Kubota part number is K7873.
I do not really need this smaller bucket (I do not really need any other bucket), but the smaller bucket might be handy to have.
My use for all tractor stuff is purely for fun!

So.....since December I have been pricing this bucket.
Was hoping to find a used one, but that type bucket is apparently as scarce as hens teeth.

Found a new AIM bucket on E-bay (new) for $818 plus $140 shipping, plus tax, but decided to wait until June.
Early June, that price went up to $892 plus $190 shipping, plus tax.

Noted that Kubota Coleman equipment (KS) on their website has one listed for $1005 (no tax), but $180+ shipping.

Then up comes Messick's with one on E-Bay for $1100.
$1250 with shipping.

So.......at mid June I have still not acted!
I do not REALLY need this thing!

June 15th, I decide to "either do it ...or get off the pot"
I call Chappell tractor in Milford, NH.
They have one in stock, and I pay $1100 over the phone, for pick up later (when I am next in the area).

Same day, just for kicks, I look at E-bay to see if the one from Messick's has sold.
It has,..... and was listed for $1100.
Now, Messick's has another listed,...... but for $1428!

That is a 29.9% price increase!

This is the way we progress from inflation to recession!

Prices rise so dramatically that demand for product will dissipate.
Company (Werk Brau) lays off welders that make Kubota buckets.
Dealers lay off people.
Businesses shrink.
It is called .....recession!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
My daughter is an estimator at a fab/machine shop. Price of steel is so unstable she has to check prices daily to keep up. These are crazy times right now

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
@fried1765
That all may be but at the distributor I work for (plumbing, hvac, industrial) we have seen substantial price reductions in the last few months. For example copper tubing is down about 30%. Gas and electric water heaters are down over 7%. A major hvac manufacturer announced then rescinded a hefty price increase. Solder down 7+ %. Steel pipe down. . .
Good signs - except when you are sitting on millions of $$$ of inventory :(

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
@fried1765
That all may be but at the distributor I work for (plumbing, hvac, industrial) we have seen substantial price reductions in the last few months. For example copper tubing is down about 30%. Gas and electric water heaters are down over 7%. A major hvac manufacturer announced then rescinded a hefty price increase. Solder down 7+ %. Steel pipe down. . .
Good signs - except when you are sitting on millions of $$$ of inventory :(
Anybody over the age of 30 should be familiar with the ebb and flow of prices in a market system.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user