Hydraulic system oil strainer B7100

Mike in Littlestown

Equipment
B7100
Jan 24, 2021
Littlestown, PA
I drained the transmission/ hydraulic system oil and removed the strainer to clean it. A few tiny pieces of metal were on the mesh, but that is all. Problem is--it won't screw back in. I get a turn on it and then it gets very stiff. I even tried it w/o the hydraulic pipe banjo fitting--just the strainer all by itself, and it still wouldn't go back in. I do not want to use a wrench until it is nearly tight. I even removed the drain bolt from the opposite of the strainer to make sure it wasn't hitting on that. Threads all look good and no visible debris in the threads on the transmission.
Puzzled.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Turn it counter clockwise, until you feel the threads aligning, and then turn it clockwise. DO NOT force it, no matter what you do. Even if you have to take it back to the dealer on a trailer, it will cost you less than if you cross thread the fitting, and have to buy some very expensive parts. Also, look at the treads carefully to make sure that it isn't cross threaded already. If it is, it might still be repairable by an experienced mechanic. Most likely it isn't cross thread yet, but look first before you proceed. Not being familiar with your tractors thread size, I can't make any further recommendations. Many times, manufacturers will use an aluminum fitting in a steel hole, just so you can't damage the steel threads. Check the threads on the part that you are trying to install for evidence of cross threading also.

Mike in Littlestown

Equipment
B7100
Jan 24, 2021
Littlestown, PA
Thanks for the speedy reply!
I ordered a new strainer as, upon further inspection, there were a few tears or worn holes in the screen.
I agree, I do NOT want to cross thread anything on the transmission---$$$$$

Mike in Littlestown

Equipment
B7100
Jan 24, 2021
Littlestown, PA
Just to close out this issue...
I modified the old strainer to use as a thread chaser---I removed the strainer part, tapered the threads and cut two grooves perpendicular to the threads, and then used a small triangular file to sharpen the first 3 threads to more of a point.
I oiled it up and threaded it into the transmission case and it turned by hand a full turn and then stopped. I used a wrench with just a little pressure and it went in another turn. I backed it out and then advanced it again, clearing the threads. I repeated this process until it just bottomed out and then removed it. Then I cleaned out the threads again with a clean and oiled rag.
The new strainer than went in just as it should--no cross-threading. Yeah!

Reactions: 2 users