Hydraulic Cylinder Aftermarket Replacement

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
A bit off topic perhaps, but thought this might help others:

I have a ‘87 Ferguson asphalt compactor/roller I use to smooth my turf runway, especially useful for repairing hog-damage, but also compacts the soil and the hogs now avoid it because it’s too hard for them to root. (It weighs 14K lbs empty, 18K lbs loaded). While it looks really derelict ... it’s actually in very good mechanical condition with what I believe a rebuilt or replaced engine because the engine looks much newer than the rest of the machine. It has indications of regular servicing despite the bad paint and used to belong to the Texas Dept of Transportation (Highway Dept) and was sold at auction.

It has a HST drive-system run off a 4239 John Deere 4-cyl diesel. It also has a hydraulic steering cylinder and it developed a leak, which I thought was going to be a simple matter to re-seal with O-rings. But unfortunately the cylinder has an obsolete method of disassembly, using wire snap-rings and flat-rings that must be cut for disassembly and are no longer available. The Ferguson Equipment Co. is still in business making this same compactor/roller but using a different style steering cylinder they will happily sell me for a ridiculous amount.

I go online and found a company “Magister” who makes all kinds of hydraulic cylinders of all sorts of dimensions. I bought a replacement with a 3” bore and a 20” stroke with clevis ends, the only significant issue was the Magister clevis uses 1” pins while the original was 1-1/4” pins, but Magister sold me reducer-bushings that solved that problem. The price was $200 with ”free” shipping. It arrived in 3 days. Hope you find this useful.
www.magisterhyd.com/

BE8121C5-4CB6-4FE8-B26F-4E5DDFF2D6E9.jpeg
21AE01E2-3741-4845-8551-ADBBAF1DD73B.jpeg
3C995F11-E2A6-4A18-BCA3-B4D11066E258.jpeg

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
George, as you prove, when it comes to hydraulic cylinders going back to the manufacturer can be expensive.

A year ago I needed to rebuild the tilt cylinders on a 35 year old BobCat skidsteer. The dealer did not have the kit but could get it. I had to prepay for it and the price was like $47. I went to the local hyd repair shop with the cylinder parts with me. He did not have them, but could get them the next day. Cost......$11 each cylinder!

Reactions: 1 user