How popular are sub-compacts???

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I have been trying for two years to sell my Kubota B6100E to upgrade and get something a little larger like a L175 or L185 for example. And I can't seem to find anyone who would be inclined to buy mine. I have talked to the dealer and the salesman said they dont last long on the lot, everone snags them up fast. I must be missing something on that bandwagon. It seems that everybody on here has either a Kubota B6000 or a B7100 is my model cursed and nobody wants a B6100? Whats the deal! I've posted mine numerious times on Craigslist and its currently now listed with Tractorhouse.com, I supposes my problem is I dont have to sell it. I do still use it and make money with it and I am in no way about to give the tractor away like some people have tried to take from me. I'm a big dude at 6' 4'' and I need leg room!

Greg

Equipment
B7100 HST-D 4x4 with FEL, PTO and 3 pt hitch
Dec 7, 2009
Putnam County, NY
You want to sell it? sell it cheap. It's that simple. That's life sometimes, and it sucks!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I didnt think $4000 was a bad asking price for just the tractor. I am not about to give the thing away either. Im not stuck on the price if someone would like the haggle on the price and shoot offers I'll entertain any reasonable offer. I've only had like 3 people in 2 years ask me about the tractor, tire kickers if you will, but thats been about it.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
A brand new 18 hp Kubota with power steering Hydro trans and 3 years warranty is $9000 You be the judge on what a 30 year old one is worth!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I've been keeping an eye on the prices of one like mine over the last 2 years and I've seen them go for as little as $1,200 which was totaly trashed and rough looking up to around $4,500 for a show room quality restored one. I put a $4,000 price tag on my ads because most people want to beat you down and haggle the price. I honestly didnt think $4,000 was a terriable price since I have 2 brand new tires on the rear and breaks. She's not a beauty pagent winner by any means but isnt the looser either! I supposed the next best this is to have mine appraised at the deal for a more accuate priceing on what mine is worth. Thanks to you folks so far.

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
If you don't mind I would like to give you my perspective as to the value of your B6100. To give you a little history of where I am coming from here, I have bought and sold (2) B6100 in the last 4 years. One a hydo 4WD and one a gear shift 4WD. The hydro was is tougher shape than the gear model and sold it for $2750. The gear shift was in really good shape with only 485 hrs on it. I bought it with a Kubota B40C tiller for $3500. I later traded the tiller in on a bigger one and then ended up selling the tractor for $3250.

The reason you are not getting anyone looking is because in my humble opinion, it is priced too high. If you were selling it with some attachments, then you may be able to get that kind of money for it. But not the tractor alone. Of course different parts of the country will bring higher prices than others, but I have to believe if you haven't sold it in 2 years there can only be one reason.

I also, as a hobby, buy and sell things online. If I have an item that is not selling and just doesn't seem to be getting any action on it, I have to lower the price. What I have come to understand is that if you are serious about selling something, there are a couple of things you need to decide before you do. Number one, you have to decide that you really want to sell it and are willing to part with it. And number two, you have to price it so people will be interested in it. You say that you really don't need to sell it and are not going to give it away. If you really don't need to sell it and you have it priced at $4000, then you are not going to sell it. No B6100 in good shape and price right will be for sale for two years.

Another thing you can do, if you haven't already, is go see what a couple of dealers might think it is worth. See what trade in price would be as well as what they would put it out on their lot for. Keep in mind a dealers price will be higher than an individual can expect to get for the same tractor since the dealer usually has to do some refurbishing and offer some kind of warranty even if it is just 30 days.

This is just my humble opinion as to why you have not sold your tractor. One mans opinion is usually quite different than every one else's. And usually no one wants to hear them. So take it for what's it worth. And good luck.

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
Perhaps it is a reflection of the economy. I was at a farm equipment auction in October, and the tractor prices were ridiculously low. This applied to all sizes there, including the small Kubotas and Yanmars I have seen a few of the units from that sale on Craigslist over the last month - still fairly low prices.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I have been useing www.tractorhouse.com as a referance tool for priceing. I has listed it as $4000 obo, figureing people would want to beat me down and haggle on the price. I would take 3500 to 3000 for it if cash money is shown. I did at one time have it listed as a package deal which included 4 attachments and even offerend to deliver it free of charge with 100miles of my home town if need be to make the sale. I supposed maybe thats my problem is I dont need to sell, I still use it often. I just wanted to sell mine and turn around and get something larger like a L175 or L185. I am worried if I bought a larger one outright I'd just have the old one siting around and to many tractors pileing up! LOL.

Thank you all for the insight!

Greg

Equipment
B7100 HST-D 4x4 with FEL, PTO and 3 pt hitch
Dec 7, 2009
Putnam County, NY
I just went through several months of looking to buy my first tractor. During this time i educated myself on these tractors and their cost. I would have bought a B6000, B6100 or a B7100. I then narrowed my search to Hydro tranny only and 4x4 only.

I believe the E on your B6100E means the 2 wheel drive? I watched one of those go as low as $1200.00. I didn't even want it at that price. I did almost bid on one with a FEL that went for $3,100.00. But I refused to give up on what i wanted. 2 weeks later I found my 7100, 4x4, hydro and an FEL on the side and a perfect working 60" woods mower for $2,600.00.

Just a little food for thought for someone who was looking for a tractor recently and bought one.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
B6100s bring $2000 to $2500 around here with no attachments. A hydro is about $500 more.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Maybe in 2008 but we're not getting those prices today in this area. low interest rates and lower prices on the new ones have cut into used tractor prices. Plus of course, the ecomomy.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well then I think I'll just hang on it for a little while longer, perhaps Ill just water it a little more often and hope it grows into a fullsize!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well after much thought about it Im going to vent here for a mintue and let it all out, not sure if its the place to do it but here I go. Why should I lower the pirce of my tractor just to make a sale? Did other things in this economy come down on price too, like gasoline and diesel fule, the price of an automobile, the food at the grocery store? NO not to my knowlede they havent. So why should I lower the price on my tractor or any one of us lower the price on anything just to suite the economy? Im sick and tired of being taken advantage of as a landscape contractor. Im tired of beating the brains out of another contractor just to win a customers project. I think people are crying the blues and saying they dont have money just to take advantage of the current economic situtation and thats just plane wrong. If you dont have the money to purchase good or services then wait til your punkass can afford to plane and simple as that. Ive seen it happen so many times on Craigslist where homeowners post they need plumbing or hvac work and want to pay peanuts for it. FHEW damn I feel better for what its worth, not like its going to change a damn thing.

tiger9297

Equipment
B7100HST-D w/ Bush Hog FEL
Jun 28, 2009
Tupelo, MS
This past summer I sold a B5100 that was in excellent condition for $2500. I listed the tractor T $3000 and got a little activity, but not much. I lowered the price a little, and still nothing. Once, I lowered it to $2500 I was flooded with emails, and practically sold it, sight unseen. All that to say, I think your price is too high. I would slowly lower it, and you will hit that magic number sooner or later and it will sell.

I also bought a B7100HST 4x4 that was literally in "like new" condition with 585 hours on it, with a Woods 5 ft. finish mower. I paid $4000 for tractor and mower together. I sold the mower for $600, so I have $3400 in my tractor, but like I said, it's in perfect condition.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Oh I'm doing the same thing, I have it listed now on Craigslist for 4500. Yeah I know looking at 4500 is a bit much but my idea is people are going to try and haggle with me and beat me down to a lower price. I figured 3500 to maybe as low as 3000 CASH I'll accept. Im just sick and tired of being taken advantage of in this economy! I am trying to part ways with the B6100 in an effort to upgrade to maybe an L175 or L185 and use the money to put twords a larger one. Right now I live in a residential neighborhood and not really supposed to have tractors in the backyard period. So I didnt want to run out and get a larger one and end up stuck with the B6100. Its geting cramped here in the backyard as it is between 4 trucks, 5 trailers and 2 tractors. I supposed Ill just hang on to the ol gal for a while and let things come back around. I am still useing it.

Randyj

Equipment
B9200D / BF350 Kubota Loader / L-4530B Kubota Backhoe w - subframe / LP GS1548
Sep 17, 2009
Northern Indiana
I don't see the economy turning around for the better any time soon. In fact, I think things are going to get worse.

If you truly want to sell, you should re-list for your bottom price. And just stick to it. Otherwise, it may never leave.

Prospective buyers usually ALWAYS offer less. You just have to say no, hang up, or walk away.

I always tell them to bring cash. No matter how much the item is. And when
I'm the one buying, if I go see it in person I always take cash.

Good luck.:)

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'm thinking I just might hang this idea up all together for now. I've had a few people in the past try to offer me like 900 to 1000 and I refuse to let it go that cheap. And I've heard from a person "oh will I can go over here to xyz and buy it cheaper" I say go ahead your arent hurting my feelings none. I have also had a few people try and pull a fast one and want to send me a check for a few hundred over the price we agreed apon and send them the differance. Im like yeah NO, I watch the news and see how con artist do that with people. I know I have a shaved head and a billboard sized forhead but it doesnt say STUPID anywhere on there.

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
If you come off the price it will sell. One thing I didn't understand when tractor shopping at first, was why everyone wanted so much for a used tractor, didn't make sense. I kept shopping till I found a deal. I bought an L3410 GST with loader, bushhog, and box scrape, including the freight to get it here for $10,500. The person came off the price about $2000 finally and I bought it. It had 540 hours on it and everything was in really good shape.

Buying used, worn out tractors for a lot of money doesn't make much sense, they cost you a bunch in repairs and tires and such. Parts are pretty high on any brand and it doesn't take long to run up a big bill. New or slightly used makes more sense, unless it is really cheap.

Last edited: