Horsepower and operational technique

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I welcome any comments or constructive advice. I recently bought a 3pt 72" rough cut mower for my L3010 after months of looking and research. I was advised against anything bigger than a 60" by a couple people and told by others that 72 was no problem. I am within the power range by the mower mfg with my 26hp net at the PTO.
So, my personal technique is this:
Tractor idling on level ground and deck at operating ht, engage PTO and slowly release clutch, slowly bring rpms up to 540 PTO which is 2500 engine and shuttle into forward, GST into appropriate gear for operating speed without dropping below 2400 engine rpms minimum. I am running in 2-3 and only occasionally in 1st gear in tough heavy stuff. I don't touch the throttle and just shift up or down as needed. I don't want unreasonable wear and tear on my Kubota and I figure if I'm getting the job done and watching the tach and temp guage and maintaining engine speed, then I should be OK.
???right???

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Sounds about perfect. I only let it drop to 2400 occasionally, like an especially thick clump of dallas grass or whatever, it should run at 2500 steadily with only a slump now and then. Let-r-spin.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
In my opinion, what you are doing is fine, but a little overkill. As you get to know your tractor better, you will know when it is straining too much, and when it is in a safe operational range. It does not hurt it for the rpms to rise and fall some during operation- that is impossible to completely regulate. As long as it doesn't overrev, or bog down too low, then you will be fine. Your tractor is well built, and will handle thousands of hours of work.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Sounds like it is running like it should, Minor variations of up and down in the rpm range like others have stated are not a problem.

I am within the power range by the mower mfg with my 26hp net at the PTO.
Seems this has worked out for you but in my opinion I rely more on what the tractor manufacturer states as the limits for my tractor than what the mower/attachment manufacturer states, The tractor manufacturer knows their product better than a company that is really more interested in selling you an attachment and if for some reason the tractor is damaged I doubt the mower/attachment manufacturer would cover the cost of repairs.

Just my personal opinion

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Thanks. I haven't seen any guidelines from Kubota. I use the same technique when running a 60" tiller. If the tractor isn't running hot or getting bogged down I figure I'm within the power range.
I bought the tractor used from my neighbor 2 years ago when he bought an M series. His brother is an engineer for Kubota so I'm comfortable with the advice from him. He used a 72" MD Woods with it.