Help with B7800 Pedal Return Issue

FunWithMyB7800

Equipment
B7800
May 1, 2018
Worden,IL
Tractor: B7800 HST, bought last summer with ~1100 hrs. Had issue at that point but getting worse.

Issue: Pedal does not come up from reverse or forward. Tractor stays in motion as pedal is not returning to neutral properly.

Troubleshooting tried thus far:
1) Liberally greased pivot point on pedal.
2) Took off pedal damper (which I think just dampens the movement so it doesn't snap back to center too fast). With damper off pedal still does not want to come back to center.
3) Seems to return a little if I push on the side of the pedal closer to the support arm that goes back to pivot. (seems to point to something binding at the pivot?)

Observations that may help troubleshoot:
1) Can see a spring on the other side the center housing plate (not sure technical term), spring appears to be connected and moving when pedal moved. The little bit of it I can see does not appear overly dirtly. Not sure how I would get to it to check.

2) At the pivot there seems to be a bit of play. That is ... the pedal rocks forward and backwards as intended but it can be jiggled left and right quite a bit. Is there a nylon bushing bushing or something inside that pivot? I tend to think this may be the cause.

3) The tractor starts fine. Seen a lot of posts where this causes issues starting. As I manually center the pedal with my foot when parking I'm not seeing a starting issue....yet.

Any help with this is appreciated. Sorry for the length of the post, just trying to give all the information that may be helpful for solving the issue and to other people with the same issue.

FunWithMyB7800

Equipment
B7800
May 1, 2018
Worden,IL
Re: Help with B7800 Pedal Retrun Issue

Talked to dealer and have a few things to try, but having problems getting foot deck off. Got all the bolts loose and mat off. But just in front of the brake pedals there are two threaded studs that only allow you to lift up. However, I can't lift up because of the metal shroud that is "U" shaped and goes over the fill cap in the middle (has my power steering sticker on it). Where those two parts meet they are nested and can't figure out how to get that shroud out of the way.

Tried to add a picture but don't know how to do that yet. Will try to figure that out.

Any help is appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

You won't be able to post a picture till you get 5 posts, it's an anti spam thing. ;)

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop

Looking at the parts manual it appears there is an adjustable collar on the shaft, which if set wrong, or if slipped, may give you the current symptoms. I would guess there is a standard procedure for the neutralization/centering of this collar, possibly explained in another service manual of another tractor if you don't have one for yours.
Parts layout here.
http://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=Tractor%20Parts%20Manuals/&file=B7800HSD.pdf
See page 80 of the pdf here, the adjustment procedure may be similar to yours. YMMV.
http://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=Tractor%20Owners%20Manuals/&file=B6200HST-B7200HST-WSM-01370.pdf

Last edited:

FunWithMyB7800

Equipment
B7800
May 1, 2018
Worden,IL

Thanks for the help!

Not trying to be dense, but which P/N appeared to be the adjustable collar. When helped up my pedal does seem to center fairly well, but still a good idea to check it.

I didn't see a page 80 in the document you referred to. Read thru it and didn't see an adjustment that would match my tractor.

The parts diagram is quite useful thanks.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop

Try the link again, I copied the wrong link.
The part is on page 91 of the parts manual or pdf page 197, item 50
You could have wear on 40 or 80, adding some grease to the sliding surfaces of these may help. However you could have other problems within the HST or linkages etc..

North Idaho Wolfman may have a manual for yours, worth sending him a message to find out.

FunWithMyB7800

Equipment
B7800
May 1, 2018
Worden,IL
Got it mostly tore apart. The Bearing that follows on the neutral holder is shot. Without the parts Diagram telling me what should have been there I would haven't even realized it was a bearing. All the ball bearings have fallen out. Going to order that and the bushings for inside the speed control pedal and see if that fixes it.

Only problem I have is that I don't know how to replace the bearing. It's on the inside of the center frame and there isn't enough room between the center frame housing and the the stud to slip it off the end.

At the moment think I'm going to add a hole to the frame.

Thanks again for the help! Let you know how it turns outs.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
In order to get to the neutral detent roller, you'll have to split the tractor. Or..."hole" the frame....I prefer to split. Easy once you get it apart.

FunWithMyB7800

Equipment
B7800
May 1, 2018
Worden,IL
Thanks for confirming I would have to split the tractor. As I've never split a tractor I'm a little hesitant to attempt. Probably try adding a hole, the slot gets me half of what I need, so will add a half circle to that.

Matt T

Equipment
B7800 with B2782 Blower
Apr 7, 2024
Rumford, ME
Thanks for confirming I would have to split the tractor. As I've never split a tractor I'm a little hesitant to attempt. Probably try adding a hole, the slot gets me half of what I need, so will add a half circle to that.
Hi. Did you ever resolve the problem? Mine is sticking in forward or reverse. Thanks. Matt