Headlights on L series (new vs old)

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
Been comparing the current L series tractor (including the L3700SU) to the newer ones - specifically the L3800. How do the headlights differ? The brochures say that the new ones have "2 headlights" - but the older ones seem to have 2 also.

Does anyone know how these two product lines compare in regards to headlights and/or required bulbs ?

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
Just an update - talked to the dealer last weekend and the "advertisement" that the new L series has "two headlights" is almost false advertising. Both the old and new models have two bulbs - one on each side. I'm surprised that Kubota would "advertise" this as being something "new".

I'll have to give Wildfire a shout ...

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
I'm late to the party. I spend way to much time in the fabrication section here and must have fallen asleep:D
I think what they mean about the two headlamps in the "L" models is that there is a double filament bulb in each lamp. The head lamp switch on my lever has high and low beam and it's a great feature. Not sure if any of the other models are like this. The other cab lights are just your basic single filament one beam halogen bulb.

Last edited:

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
Thanks Wildfire. My dealer didn't mention that - but you know - headlights are a major item of discussion. I guess I was getting too detailed on my analysis. But thanks for the clarification.

Wildfire

Equipment
Thanks Wildfire. My dealer didn't mention that - but you know - headlights are a major item of discussion. I guess I was getting too detailed on my analysis. But thanks for the clarification.
Man I apologize for not responding sooner. I never get notification of a private message on this site. If I had I would have know you had emailed me. If you want me to post a photo's of the switch and the lights I can but It's basically the same as in a car. Turn the end of the switch arm one click and you have low beam and the next click is high. Super cool! You are more than welcome sir :D

Oh ya I like lights :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFdT0zWcY9k

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
My L185DT had dual beam headlights, 35 years ago! I also wondered what Kubota was talking about. New?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Lights??? Wildfire???? ya know a man could wind up with a sunburn standing in front of his tractor:cool:

Wildfire

Equipment
Last edited:

Davemerq73

Equipment
FEL, Rear Blade, Box scraper
Dec 5, 2010
Becker, MN
Wildfire, Do you have any issues with the LED's frosting up, or getting blocked with snow? I would think with the tractor blowing/plowing the snow this is a significant issue.

Here in MN the state decided it would be a great idea to put LED traffic lamps in - Only problem is that in the winter the Lamps dont get hot enouph to melt ice/snow, and get obstructed.

BTW - the solution was to add 100W heaters to the Lamp assembly. The cost to retrofit, and additonal electricity ended up defeating the purpose of the LED's all together....

Wildfire

Equipment
Wildfire, Do you have any issues with the LED's frosting up, or getting blocked with snow? I would think with the tractor blowing/plowing the snow this is a significant issue.

Here in MN the state decided it would be a great idea to put LED traffic lamps in - Only problem is that in the winter the Lamps dont get hot enouph to melt ice/snow, and get obstructed.

BTW - the solution was to add 100W heaters to the Lamp assembly. The cost to retrofit, and additonal electricity ended up defeating the purpose of the LED's all together....

It's a well known fact that about ninety-percent of the energy that goes into an incandescent light bulb is turned into heat rather than into light. No doubt that can be an advantage at times in certain conditions but the use of L.E.D. Lighting still is a much better form of lighting in my opinion. They are brighter. They last far longer and very energy efficient and that's the reason I've used them on my equipment.

I know of the complaints and agree with them. I've talked to truckers and they've said that you couldn't see the back of there trailer due to the snow and ice on they're rear L.E.D. Lighting. Our traffic lights have been converted to L.E.D.'s but haven't had any issues. The enery savings have been Hugh.

I know on the tractor I've seen them buried in snow but no matter what was there it would have resulted in the same problem. Id still rather put up with the L.E.D. Issues than step back to all the negatives of incandescent lighting. Just my two cents worth :D

Davemerq73

Equipment
FEL, Rear Blade, Box scraper
Dec 5, 2010
Becker, MN
Thats great that you dont notice a difference. I would agree that an LED is a better light in *almost* every application. How you operate/store your equipment is probibly the key, as well as region. I think you have overcompensated for any obstructions due to weather with more lights than I could remember how to operate....

I was just figuring a slow moving tractor, stirring up a ton of snow would be one of the worst case scenarios for LED lighting.

If you havent noticed a difference, the *almost* just got much smaller...Another case for LED's.

Wildfire

Equipment
I don't think there will be a perfect anything but when it comes to L.E.D. Lighting it's much more suited for my lighting needs. The time will come when that's all we'll be able to purchase anyway. Yes I run a few extra lights on my tractor but I like the safety factor having them there. If someone hits me they can't say they didn't see me unless they are blind :D