Getting started welding

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I feel like I've asked this before but I can't find it.

It looks like there are a fair number of you who do at least some welding, so any tips for someone who wants to start out, basically learning how to do it for little stuff around the shop/farm?

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
When learning something new, Youtube is your friend.

Reactions: 1 user

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Look at a local community college. Usually they'll offer hands on courses and even include certification exams as well. It may be a little overkill but it will give you good techniques and a knowledge base to fall back on in the future.

Reactions: 5 users

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Classes maybe, depending on schedule and availability. I planned to see what I could find online.

But you can't do much without equipment, right? So what's the best route to go there for a beginner? I've heard arguments in all directions (gas, mig, etc), so just looking for some input on that.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
I have a Hobart 190 as well and love it. I started with youtube, then I asked my local fabricator whom I had a long standing relationship with if he could "show me the basics". I went to his shop with my stuff, brought him some beer, some cash and spent a few hours with him. YouTube will give you the gist but it's really helpful to find a local hobby/ craigslist fabricator and spend some time together.

Community college classes here in NJ were $2,000 (and up). No thanks, im just sticking wheels on dollies and other random bits. If its critical, I still give work to my fabricator.

I was a little confused why he would help teach me something that would make me less likely to use him. I think I use him more now because just having a welder is only half the battle!

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Classes maybe, depending on schedule and availability. I planned to see what I could find online.

But you can't do much without equipment, right? So what's the best route to go there for a beginner? I've heard arguments in all directions (gas, mig, etc), so just looking for some input on that.
Stick is the cheapest to get into but has some drawbacks of having to move the welder both laterally and vertically when going so it can be hard to make look good without practice. Tig is pretty but it is complicated in its own way and requires even more practice than stick.

Mig will be the most universal and is probably the most user friendly since once you have the correct settings you can focus on laying the bead and staying consistent. As far as equipment goes there is starter stuff on Amazon for $500 that isn't going to win any awards and shouldn't be used for anything structural but it'll get you by with small projects. Once you want to go onto bigger things its short duty cycle and relatively low penetration will leave you wishing that you spent more cash. You can probably get a mig welder that will leave room for growth at around 700-900 depending on what features speak to you.

Personally I am partial to Lincoln Electric and Miller but welders are like trucks. Everyone who is dedicated to one brand has some reason to hate every other brand most for no good reason. Hobart makes good stuff too.

One thing to be sure of is to get good welding gloves, jacket, and mask. Not saying to get the most expensive stuff on the market but you don't want to find out that your gloves or jacket aren't quite as flame/heat resistant as they should be by taking a trip in the meat wagon.

If you find a college course that fits your schedule usually in the class fees this PPE is provided to you and you get to keep it as well.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Unless you are buying for aluminum or heavy steel, any MIG can work. I have a Miller 210 with spoolgun, two types of gas, and a spoolgun. The biggest difference in MIG welders is duty cycle or how long they will run without shutting off and raw power. The more powerful MIGs are 220 machines.

To start out and to weld steel, I’d go with a 110 machine. You can either go with gas for more money and less spatter or simply buy a cheap fluxcore model. Really cheap simple, and will do most of what you’d want. For that type of cheap machine, I’d probably consider a Harbor Freight model on sale for right at $100. The better machines of Hobart, Miller, Lincoln, etc in the same type will be $500-1000.

Like I said though, I bought once and cried once. I did have to add a 220 outlet at each place I lived. I don’t regret the purchase since I weld a bit of aluminum, but it’s more than a starter system. A setup like mine is closer to $1500 with even my Miller autodarkening Helmet being a lot more than a standard helmet.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
I bought a Lincoln 180 Mig at the local auto parts store. I Just keep it simple with flux core wire for now as getting a bottle of gas is too much of a hassle for bubble gumming practice!
Get some junk, a grinder and lots of cutting/grinding disks, some flap disks and just weld stuff together! A decent auto darkening mask is worth the money. A cheapo is a cheapo.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
1. Put earplugs in your ears before welding upside down.
2. Dont wear old frayed carharrts when welding laying down under a truck.

Reactions: 1 users

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
When I was stationed in Missouri, the local high school shop teacher taught adults welding courses after school, like 6 -8 pm for 5 days. I think he charged $250 per student, and all funds went to buy supplies for his shop class students. Started with stick for 2 days, mig for a day, and 2 days you could either buy your own metal and make yourself something, or just keep practicing on the scrap. He even let people cut stuff up with a plasma cutter to get used to how that works.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I agree with the others advice. Get an auto-darkening helmet, gloves and a decent welding jacket. Some HF welding clamps and angle magnets are also helpful. For a machine, I would suggest a mig that you can also attach a argon/carbon dioxide mix tank to and not one that only allows for flux core wire. Having a welding cart as well is handy but not essential. Lastly, practice early and often. There are a bunch of good instructional channels on YouTube. Weldingtipsandtricks and Kevin Caron, Artist are two that I would highly recommend.

Last edited:

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I would add to not get caught up in the model numbers thinking they are the actual rating/output of the welder. Instead, when your comparing the different welders/brands pay attention to the actual specs: the amp output and duty cycle in particular.
As an example: I bought a Lincoln SP130T way way back in the '90s I believe. Still using it today and it does everything I need. It's a 220 volt AC input and rated at 130 amps @30% duty cycle. At some years later a "know it all" at work was looking to buy himself a welder and asked about mine and how I liked it. Told him it was great. He said he needed something a lot bigger for his bigger and better projects. He went and bought a Lincoln SP170T and was bragging it up. Looking at the actual specs, I pointed out that he still has a nice welder but it was rated at 130 amps at only 25% duty cycle. Boy was he mad!! :ROFLMAO:

In all the years I've been using mine, it's never shut down for exceeding the duty cycle even on some larger projects.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Cover up, not just to protect yourself from hot metal, but from radiation. You can flash burn your skin quite quickly if your skin is exposed to the light from the welding arc.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Join Welding Web website...incredible amount of info and good people on there...sorta like this place...

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Our local community college offers the welding certification classes for people who want to do it for a living. They also have a separate type of school where they teach things like cooking, landscaping for homeowners, art for hobby, and computer use skills. They offer welding class at a much lower skill level and cost than the certification class. They also offer some welding as part of art classes for sculpture. They also have classes in Ag/farm related subjects and they teach welding in that program at a similar low cost. You may want to contact the community college in your area to ask them if they offer similar options for welding other than certification level.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I agree with protecting yourself, for a long time I thought getting burned somewhere was part of the welding process. Gloves with holes in the fingers is another no no.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
the early videos from ChuckE2009 were helpful for me too, not sure if they are still up or not.

Last edited: