Garden guys

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I was mowing along the road the other day and was wondering if the Rose of Sharon bushes planted along the highway would make a good boundary between the road and the lower field. I know they don't take much up keep but I am wondering how close they could be planted, and how to start them from cuttings or seeds,,, any input would be grand

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The cuttings you have to get in the spring just as it starts to put out new growth. Not sure how to start them. I usually look it up on ehow if my wife decides she wants to do something like that.
Haven't seen any seeds on mine, but haven't looked very close either. From what i've seen in some of the seed and plant magazines that show up to the house if your looking to do a hedge with them, they need to be planted at a minimum of 4 feet apart. Any closer and the roots fight.

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
The only issue with this type of flower that close to the road I have found is the salt being spread in the winter causes some issues. The cuttings can certainly be taken but may not take, so planting closer and using a thinning is a good idea.

ALinCarolina

Equipment
B3200
Aug 12, 2013
Weddington, NC
Rose of Sharon is real common here in the south. It is a type of Hisbiscus, comes in several different colors and the bees and hummingbirds love them. It is quite tough and needs no special care although it is a favorite food of Japanese Beetles if you have those in your area. Mine are so vigorous they stay ahead of the beetles. As you are probably aware though, they are deciduous so won't make much of a barrier in the winter. Mine get a lot of volunteers that come up around them which are easy to transplant so if you see a neighbor with one ask if they have those coming up that you can go dig up.