G1800 blowing 10A fuse

dthomas

Equipment
LX2610, B2601, G1800S
May 17, 2024
Watertown, TN
I have a beloved G1800S with about 1230hrs. It has started blowing the 10A fuse. It has a new wiring harness so no wiring issues, I also replaced the dashboard. Both of these projects were done earlier this year also. I replaced the Combination box back in the spring. I also bypassed the seat switch a few years ago because I put on an aftermarket seat and the shut off solenoid is disconnected and I put a pull lever on to shut off fuel. I also replaced the fuel level sensor 3 or 4 years ago and it seems to work just fine. Since the fuse started blowing and there doesn't seem to be any issue with wires or supply voltages, replaced the voltage regulator which made no difference. I also replaced the fuel lift pump but it makes no difference.

What I haven't replaced is the generator but I am a leaning towards it is not the problem because the battery charging seems to work just fine. I can sometimes mow for a few hours and no issue but lately it has started to blow sooner usually withing 5 minutes of starting up. But it still is a very intermittent problem blowing in a few minutes to about 30 minutes.

Just curious if anyone has had this issue what they found as the cause. I'm pulling what little hair I have left out trying to find what the cause of this is.

dthomas

Equipment
LX2610, B2601, G1800S
May 17, 2024
Watertown, TN
This is the only diagram I have it is not really good resolution. The only mod really is the seat switch and I wouldn't call it a mod I just made a jumper for the seat safety switch plug to trick the combo box into the switch being in the closed position. The fuel shut off valve is just unplugged, it actually tries to work but doesn't always hold the valve off well enough to shut down the engine after the key switch is turned to the off position. None of these would explain the fuse blowing.

When the fuse blows all the gauges stop, the fuel lift pump stops and the combo box won't allow the starter to engage. I replace the fuse and engage the key and all seems happy. I can start it and let it run for an hour and it won't blow the switch. So my guess is something is getting banged around and there may be an intermittent short. I don't really like that idea because if you immediately stop and replace the fuse it goes back to functioning correctly and can be fine for another 5 minutes to a few hours.

NEW UPDATE: Well I noticed the battery retainer bolt on side had broke. Wasn't obvious just look at it as it was sitting the right position when stopped with the bonnet up. However when I was moving the wires around I noticed the battery moved a lot and more than enough to strike the air cleaner case an inch above it. This might explain why it would sit an idle for over an hour and never blow the fuse and only blow it while driving it 🥴... time will tell I guess

Attachments