G 1800

10ecman

Equipment
Bad Boy Pup, JD 737 and (2) ZD21
Sep 22, 2015
Fayetteville,Tn
I have a G1800 and the noise it produces when the pto is engaged is horrible. The shaft that comes out of the engine and then it goes through the frame which keeps the angle correct for the shaft to turn the blades. Coming out of the bracket that is coming through the frame I can see what looks like metal run through a shredder. How can I get the yoke off the shaft coming out of the engine.

67Truckin

Equipment
BX1800D
May 25, 2016
Pleasant Plains
Sounds like you need to replace the bearings on the PTO shaft that goes thru the front axle. I just did this on my G1900. The shaft comes out the front after removing the driveshaft to the mower deck. You have to remove the lower belt pulley, snap ring, and drive the shaft forward from underneath. Mine was tough going but I finally got it. The rear needle bearing was a bear to remove and replace. Just be patient and it will come.

10ecman

Equipment
Sep 22, 2015
Fayetteville,Tn
Shaft is out!!! Now how in GOD's name do I get the race and needle bearings out. The needle bearing looks like it went through a shredder!!

mrmr56

Equipment
G4200, Z482, 3 G5200's
Jul 22, 2015
Waco, TX
You are probably going to have to remove the axle pivot by removing the 4 bolts holding it in. Once that is removed, you should be able to knock it on out for replacement. The bearing is not too bad from Kubota. You might be able to get a slide hammer to grip it and pull it straight toward the rear of the mower. If you have a slide hammer available, I would try that first.

67Truckin

Equipment
BX1800D
May 25, 2016
Pleasant Plains
I tried to drive the needle bearing out the back using a hammer and chisel. I just ended up using an air chisel and cutting the race out from the back side.

10ecman

Equipment
Sep 22, 2015
Fayetteville,Tn
The race that was stuck in the flange is now out. Thanks to a rental bearing puller the race was history with two pulls of the 5lb slide hammer.Next the needle bearing.... It's a little trickier I think but here goes. Mrmr56 I'm not sure but I think the flange had the 4 bolts and I did try to remove it but it got stuck after only an inch of movement toward the front of the mower. This forum is great. Thanks Mrmr56 and 67 Truckin. I just noticed the needle bearing ate into the shaft a little so there goes 217.00. I wonder if a machine shop could repair my shaft.

Last edited: