Fuel Shut Off - when to use it?

miro

Equipment
snow blower
Feb 23, 2014
toronto
It's not clear from the manuals about when to use the fuel shut off.

My B5100 is the first diesel I have.
On the other tractors ( gas powered) , I normally shut off the fuel valve when I know
that I will not be using it in the next day or two or longer ( weeks sometimes) .
But of course diesels are different.

SO, when do you shut off the fuel valve?

miro

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
It's not clear from the manuals about when to use the fuel shut off.

My B5100 is the first diesel I have.
On the other tractors ( gas powered) , I normally shut off the fuel valve when I know
that I will not be using it in the next day or two or longer ( weeks sometimes) .
But of course diesels are different.

SO, when do you shut off the fuel valve?

miro

in the real world - you should shut it off everytime the engine is off........
HoWeVer .......95% of us dont......(including me)

On a gas engine where the tank is ABOVE the engine, the fuel can get into the carb, leak into the cylinder, then into the oil! Can happen in diesels too!;)

you get whats called hydraulic lock - the piston comes up and tries to squeeze all that liquid and well you know how that is gonna end up ......

I had a 53 ford, learned the hard way when my oil level was rising on the dipstick......I learned real quick - cut the fuel off everyTIME.

it IS there for a reason, changing the filter is good one too!;):)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I shut that valve off when I change the fuel filter.

I've owned Kubota tractors since 1980 and never shut that valve off except for filter change, and never had any kind of a problem with fuel leaks or anything else. But then, everything I own is before all the electronic gizzmos. Maybe that makes a difference.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I don't have a B5100, but I wouldn't shut it off unless changing the filter. That's why that valve is there. Wouldn't shut it off otherwise.

Just HMO....:p

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I can just imagine the grief i will cause myself by turning fuel off. I turn off gas on old cocksutt ,if i dont i will come back to an empty tank. It likes to drip.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I turn off gas on old cocksutt ,if i dont i will come back to an empty tank. It likes to drip.
My father still has a 1953 Minneapolis-Moline ZAU from our farming days. Same there, always shut gas off.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Heck, I'm going to look again but I couldn't even find a shut off valve on my Kubota. Since it had a screw on can filter I supposed it didn't need on...wrong! I took a bath in diesel until I could get the old one off and a new one on. Lucky I had one open in my other hand!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Heck, I'm going to look again but I couldn't even find a shut off valve on my Kubota. Since it had a screw on can filter I supposed it didn't need on...wrong! I took a bath in diesel until I could get the old one off and a new one on. Lucky I had one open in my other hand!
Pinch the fuel line off with a pair of pliers. Or pick up a clamp to put on the fuel line when changing. Keep a pail next to you, and place the new fuel filter with packaging removed and ready for install right next to where your working.

Crimp line, remove filter, drop in pail. Snag new filter and install. Should only lose a little fuel out of the old filter, and maybe a few drips from the fuel line ;) remove clamp or pliers from fuel line, and leave fuel filter a little loose. Finish tightening the fuel filter when fuel filter gets full of fuel :) will cut down on your priming :)

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Turning fuel off when tractor is parked is an effective thief deterrent. When I have to leave my equipment in a customers hay field overnight because I didn't complete the baling I always turn the fuel off.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Tx Jim, that's a good point.

I shut the fuel off of my trencher all the time. I also have a quick disconnect on the battery. They sure are a theft deterrent. It's kept me from starting it a few times!!!:D

clay45

Equipment
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Pinch the fuel line off with a pair of pliers. Or pick up a clamp to put on the fuel line when changing. Keep a pail next to you, and place the new fuel filter with packaging removed and ready for install right next to where your working.

Crimp line, remove filter, drop in pail. Snag new filter and install. Should only lose a little fuel out of the old filter, and maybe a few drips from the fuel line ;) remove clamp or pliers from fuel line, and leave fuel filter a little loose. Finish tightening the fuel filter when fuel filter gets full of fuel :) will cut down on your priming :)
Good advice Daren. I did have the new filter out & ready because I anticipated a drip. Was I EVER surprised! :eek:

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Clay,

I have a small cup with diesel in it which I use to fill the new filter and bowl with before re-attaching. Our tractor doesn't have a fuel shut off, so we put a bolt into the fuel line to stop the flow. Re-attaching was quick and easy, no air gap, runs perfect. My thinking is that the trick is to have your bowl full when putting the filter back on.

Burt

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Good advice Daren. I did have the new filter out & ready because I anticipated a drip. Was I EVER surprised! :eek:
I ran into the same thing on my newer light towers. Old ones had a fuel tank that was lower then the fuel filter. So no issues. Newer ones have an extended capacity fuel tank on them. Fuel level if over half full is above the fuel filter. Didn't give it a thought and pulled the fuel filter and turned around to grab new filter. New filter was sitting on my work table behind me. Looked back and realized fuel was running all over the floor :eek: Went scrambling to get the new one on. Ended up losing over a gallon of fuel on the floor :eek:

clay45

Equipment
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Clay,

I have a small cup with diesel in it which I use to fill the new filter and bowl with before re-attaching. Our tractor doesn't have a fuel shut off, so we put a bolt into the fuel line to stop the flow. Re-attaching was quick and easy, no air gap, runs perfect. My thinking is that the trick is to have your bowl full when putting the filter back on.

Burt
My little Yanmar has a setup like that with a bowl & paper filter. In fact I replaced the old bowl, seal, and filter at the same time on it. It has a fuel shut-off valve in the head. Close fuel off, unscrew bowl, empty contents, clean bowl (or replace), insert new filter, fill bowl with clean fuel, screw bowl back on, open fuel valve. Purge lines and go back to work.

My Kubota L2050DT manual illustrates and explains it roughly the same way. Trouble is the tractor doesn't have this type of filter. It all appears factory and I imagine the manual wasn't updated to match the tractors since the model was replaced the next year. Seems to have been common with Japanese CUT manufacturers.

Mine has a screw-on can filter.

Last edited: