85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Re: Fuel filter change on aL4060

Has anyone experienced a problem in restarting a L4060 after changing the fuel filter.
I would imagine that you will need to bled the system, the filter will need to be filled and then the lines.

Not familiar with your machine, but there should be a "bleed screw" up near the injector pump that will allow the air to escape.

this is a great video if not seen:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2008/11/how-to-bleed-kubota-fuelinjector-lines/

Someone with that machine will make it more clear as to what needs to be done.:)

Last edited:

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Re: Fuel filter change on aL4060

Make sure your fuel tank is full to the very top in order to achieve the best gravity feed while bleeding the system.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
These new 60 L's should not require bleeding. I didn't believe it and had the tech do it while I watched, but the directions in the owner's manual worked fine! He didn't even fill up the filter first. If you don't have directions I'll look up mine. Basically change and crank to start.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
If you don't fill the new filter with fuel, they're a pain to restart! Have to bleed them and it's completely different bleeding procedure than the old style injection. May have to consult your WSM.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you don't fill the new filter with fuel, they're a pain to restart! Have to bleed them and it's completely different bleeding procedure than the old style injection. May have to consult your WSM.
On these new fuel systems you really shouldn't fill the filter first. It lets unfiltered fuel go to the injectors.
I went to a Cat training program and that was one of their major issues for fuel system service. We were told to always install the filters dry and use the primer pump to fill so all the fuel gets filtered.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Guessing Ken figured it out by now, but in case anyone else reads this thread, here are the directions:

There is a fuel shut off just above the water separator which you closed (and cleaned the separator while you were at it).

Remove old fuel filter and put a film of clean fuel on rubber seal of new filter.Tighten the filter quickly until it contacts mounting surface and then tighten by hand an additional 1/2 turn only.

Open the fuel cock by the water separator.

Loosen the air vent plug on the fuel filter 2 turns.
Turn on the key switch and wait for about 1 minute (let fuel bubble out, this is how the tractor fills up the fuel filter itself).

Tighten air vent plug.

Set throttle at minimum speed and turn the key to "Start" position. Do not hold key switch at start for more than 10 seconds continuously.

If the engine doesn't start try it several times at 30 sec intervals.

Accelerate the engine to remove any remaining air.

If air still remains and engine stops repeat above steps.

Mine started right up, but I am guessing from what lugbolt said that it would be important to make sure separator filled fully and then the fuel filter also.