First mods L3901

allanwms

Equipment
L3901
Aug 2, 2014
Culpeper, V
Just wanted to share my mods during the first 30 days. Made my first payment and the coupon book is as thick as a novel (72 months).

I added Ken's Grab Hooks, a Piranha tooth bar and fabricated two tool boxes. The factory tool box would NOT have lasted very long with my cave man mentality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
Now for the M60 on the hood.....:D
You now have a lot more capacity than the factory box.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Thats a good idea using ammo cans, may have to borrow your idea [emoji33][emoji13]***129315;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NF6X

Equipment
L3301HST w/ LA525 & BH77
Mar 19, 2017
Riverside, CA
www.nf6x.net
I like your tool boxes! I also want to upgrade mine on my new L3301, but I can't do exactly the same thing because I have a backhoe, and thus that whole bracket that the tool box normally mounts on is gone. That also eliminated the hook for hanging the top link when the three point hitch is installed without an implement, so I also want to make a backhoe-compatible equivalent for it.

I've considered just putting a .30 cal ammo can on in place of the flimsy stock tool box, but I'm not sure if the bracket used for the toolbox on backhoe-equipped model is as sturdy as I'd like. Whatever I do, I don't think I'll have room for twin fifties like your rig!

This morning, I installed a grease gun bracket using one of the existing nuts securing my tool box bracket onto the ROPS. Sadly, it's for a common grease gun rather than an M3, since I'm in California. :D

You aren't kidding about the novel-like size of that coupon book. Reminds me of a Russian novel they made me read back in high school. I hated it. How can it take a three-inch stack of paper to write "and then things got worse"?

allanwms

Equipment
L3901
Aug 2, 2014
Culpeper, V
With all the warning labels plastered on the tractor...I must have missed that one. [emoji54]

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
allanwms,
I hate to say it, but if you look at your second picture you posted, the warning label is right there. It says, "Never modify or repair a ROPS, because welding, grinding, drilling or cutting any portion may weaken the structure.".

Do you plan on painting the boxes and brackets? If so, are you going to paint them grey or orange?

I wonder if they are going to make hooking up 3pt attachments harder, I can't tell from the pictures how far they hang over the top link.

Nice idea for added storage.

allanwms

Equipment
L3901
Aug 2, 2014
Culpeper, V
In all honesty, the only label that I read on the tractor thus far is the one for the DPF and regen process. There are so many warning labels on the tractor I'm sure that at every use...I'm violating at least one of them. I have not worn my seat belt at all (not saying that I won't) thus far (25 hours). I love the new found storage and have no regrets on the two 5/16 holes. I still think that I'm more protected than any other tractor that I've previously owned.

I plan to paint the brackets to match the ROPS color but may leave the boxes as they are as I feel it adds character.

I had my box blade on during the mark up of my build and at the top of the 3ph travel as adjusted it cleared. My original plans were to go with smaller ammo boxes but ... size mattered.

Forvols

Jan 28, 2017
Hawkins county TN
I like it and got several 50cal ammo boxes..Be great for tools and chains. going be doing this mod also. Thanks for the idea and reuse of something I already have..and I also will leave my ammo boxes as they are color wise.

allanwms

Equipment
L3901
Aug 2, 2014
Culpeper, V
I spent a little time looking over the "Warning", "Caution" and "Danger" labels on the L today as I was contemplating my next mod.

I must say...Dang! Even though no one pointed it out, there is a label that reference using chains on the loader/loader bucket.