Fertilizer questions

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Hi guys, I am very new to fertilizer. I paid to have a soil test done on some areas that I plan to start first with. The soil test gave me fertilizer recommendations supposedly based on my soil readings.

They suggest I use a 6-4-2 of real fertilizer OR a synthetic 12-12-12 mix and that micronutrients would be beneficial if using either. From my readings I understand that the 3 values relate to Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium. The samples came back as bad as I thought. Happy to share if they are of interest.

Q) Why would the values be so different depending on whether it’s pretend fertilizer or not? Does this just mean that synthetic isn’t as “strong” as the real/natural stuff? Pricing locally seems similar so not sure which direction to go. Would really appreciate any insight + suggestions.

This is just lawn/grass + shrub area close to the house. I may plant some trees along the driveway but other than that will keep the area clear as a fire break. The rest of the acreage I hope to reclaim from my very successful mole farm operation. 😉

TIA. Rusty

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm. real 6-4-2 vs synth 12-12-12
there's a HUGE difference in the numbers !!!
it should NOT matter be it real or synth, the 'numbers' need to be the same.
old farmer said 'up, down, all around'.. meaning 'grass' needs the first number, root crops, the 2nd, everything likes the last.
I'd really like 'they' to explain HOW 12-12-12 is the SAME as 6-4-2.

The higher the number ,the stronger (concentrated ) the chemical. You could dump 7-7-7 on a lawn every week or so and it'd grow great. Dump 30-30-30 it'd probably 'burn' (aka die....). so it's better to go weak and more often. Check out what golf courses use, usually high-low-low..

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
so it's better to go weak and more often. Check out what golf courses use, usually high-low-low..
Excellent advice ..... kinda like adding salt to food - too much and it is ruined ........ can always add more.

But golf courses are typically using a summer grass (in the southern climate) that eats nitrogen like skittles! AND they typically water the living hell out of it!!!

As a former football coach, I use to work on the field often - the head coach was a grass-ollo-gist.

We were growing from sprigs using Bermuda grass. HE WOULD place 20, 50 lb bags of Ammonia Nitrate (before bad people blew up buildings) on the field at a time. I spilled some on an area - killed it dead as 5 o'clock within 48 hours.

The grass you grow will have different needs as well as the bushes and other plants.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Hi guys, I am very new to fertilizer. I paid to have a soil test done on some areas that I plan to start first with. The soil test gave me fertilizer recommendations supposedly based on my soil readings.

They suggest I use a 6-4-2 of real fertilizer OR a synthetic 12-12-12 mix and that micronutrients would be beneficial if using either. From my readings I understand that the 3 values relate to Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium. The samples came back as bad as I thought. Happy to share if they are of interest.

Q) Why would the values be so different depending on whether it’s pretend fertilizer or not? Does this just mean that synthetic isn’t as “strong” as the real/natural stuff? Pricing locally seems similar so not sure which direction to go. Would really appreciate any insight + suggestions.

This is just lawn/grass + shrub area close to the house. I may plant some trees along the driveway but other than that will keep the area clear as a fire break. The rest of the acreage I hope to reclaim from my very successful mole farm operation. 😉

TIA. Rusty
There is no chemical difference between manufactured and organic fertilizer in terms of NPK ratios. I would just buy a complete lawn fertilizer with micronutrients and use it. The terms “real” and “synthetic” aren’t used when referring to fertilizer. There are organically based and manufactured fertilizers, but when the chemistry is analyzed, it’s all quantified by NPK ratio and additional micronutrients. Just fertilize a few times a season and don’t worry about it.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
I agree that the numbers should be the same. “Real fertilizer” may mean manure or compost which will add organic matter as well and that is generally helpful.
I add compost to shrub or garden areas and mostly mow with a mulching blade to add organic to the grass.
I bet just adding either version of fertilizer will get your plants going!

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
the type/source of fertilizer is important.

decomposition rates and availability to the plant is much longer for organic versus inorganic fertilizers. so the issue you are stewing on should not be so much how much N/P/K but how long what you put down stays available for the plant to use.

so organic is made available to the plant for a much longer time than inorganic so you can use less N/P/K and get same results.

if a trained professional made the soil tests I would tend to not argue.

I spent much of my life where spreading 6,000 gallons of organic fertilizer per acre was made commonly.

edit: corrected a typo

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Some ag supplies have an on staff Agronomist and also contract to apply the fertilizer. If you are planning to do very many acres, it may be cost effective and more accurate to have them do it.

Even if not, you might come out ahead using the Agronomist to help figure out what to buy from the.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
the type/source of fertilizer is important.

decomposition rates and availability to the plant is much longer for organic versus inorganic fertilizers. so the issue you are stewing on should not be so much how much N/P/K but how long what you put down stays available for the plant to use.

so organic is made available to the plant for a much longer time than inorganic so you can use less N/P/K and get same results.

if a trained professional made the soil tests I would tend to not argue.

I spent much of my life where spreading 6,000 gallons of organic fertilizer per acre was made commonly.

edit: corrected a typo
I’ll 2nd this & to listening to the Pros. My local CoOp has not steered me wrong over the last 13 seasons on my wildlife plots & brome grass that I market. I tell them my goals & they tell me how to get the results (provide a little education too). Soil samples are a big part of this process.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sent a sample off to Penn State a couple years back. I did not understand the report, all geek talk, so I called. Bottom line is, the soil had everything it needed to make stuff grow,,, with one little cavoite, I needed 9000 pounds of lime per acer to release all the good stuff,, that didnt happen :)

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire

TIA. Rusty
Was the recommendation based upon what you intended to grow? That will make a difference in what to use. Did they give you the amount per acre to use? That’s an important thing to know. Did they recommend any lime? If so, make sure you apply it because all the fertilizer in the world won’t make your crop grow good if the PH is wrong.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I would be interested in knowing if real fertilizer is organic fertilizer? There are differences between the organic fertilizer and synthetic on how they impact the overall ground conditions. Both will make stuff grow, but generally organic fertilizer will impact the soil conditions more and provide a longer effect than synthetic which generally impacts just the plant and has a quicker, but shorter effect overall.

Here is a link to one of many articles explain the difference, which may help you get an understanding.