Fabricating a PTO guard

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Today I decided to fabricate a PTO guard for my tractor. It didn't come with a guard. We're shut down for the holidays and I've been off now for three days and getting a little stir crazy so I snuck out to the shop to do it.

I used 1/8th plate for the most part but used 1/4 flat bar for the hinge. Most of the work was done with the Edwards ironworker. I did machine a stainless knob and pin for the project. The pin is used to hold the guard in the upwards position. Here's how it went.

Attachments

Last edited:

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada
sir; u have a well equipted shop and u do exceptionaly nice work.
i have never seen a taping rig like that. any more info and pics on that
unit. TIA
Louis

Wildfire

Equipment
sir; u have a well equipted shop and u do exceptionaly nice work.
i have never seen a taping rig like that. any more info and pics on that
unit. TIA
Louis
Thanks Louis. One time when I would post my work I didn't post photo's of the tooling used and I would get so many questions asking how I did it that when I post these days I'll post the tooling used. That way if someone wants to know something about the process they can ask.

The tapping machine is a great tool. It's made of cast iron and it's a little heavy (45lbs). If you look closely at the rear of the machine you'll see a row of adapters. There are different sizes of adapters to fit different size taps.

The machine has a handle on top and the long bar just below that is a counter weight that allows you to put the right weight on the tap while tapping. The biggest advantage of the machine is it keeps the part that's being tapped perfectly plumb so that when the hole is tapped it's perfectly straight. Another Hugh advantage is it helps prevent cracking the tap off by keeping it straight.
As an example I posted a few more photos of the machine in use while I was installing a "Z" axis on my milling machine. It was essential that the scale on the machine be perfectly straight so all the parts I milled had to be perfect including the tapped holes and the tapping machine took care of that for me.

These units aren't expensive. They range from $70.- $500. and are a great tool to have in the shop for those precise jobs. Thanks for your comments and question.

Paul

Last edited:

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Paul, Thanks for sharing your pictures and process in making the guard - Great Job! I was also curious about the tapping machine. Thanks for explaining.

Merry Christmas to you and all the OTT crowd!

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Ho Ho Ho. Another nice project Paul. I also like the tapping machine. I think I can find room for that one. Merry Christmas to you and your family.:D Dusty

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya know you do nicer work just foolin around that a lot of people doing it for a living,, Outstanding as always,,and a merry merry to you

Wildfire

Equipment
Paul, Thanks for sharing your pictures and process in making the guard - Great Job! I was also curious about the tapping machine. Thanks for explaining.

Merry Christmas to you and all the OTT crowd!
Your kindly welcome and thanks for your kind words. It's how we all learn. Post the product and post how we got to make the product. Those tapping machines are great for accurate tapping.

Ho Ho Ho. Another nice project Paul. I also like the tapping machine. I think I can find room for that one. Merry Christmas to you and your family.:D Dusty
Thanks Dusty. Appreciate your thoughts as well. Here's a link to the tapping machine. The best to you and yours as well during this holiday season and into 2011.

http://grizzly.com/products/Hand-Tapping-Machine/G8748

Ya know you do nicer work just foolin around that a lot of people doing it for a living,, Outstanding as always,,and a merry merry to you
Thanks my friend. It's just what I do. The trick is to enjoy each project while your doing them and that way they have to be right when there done.

I'll be posting a cool little job exclusive to this site that I'm doing now very early in the new year. I'm converting a Kubota BX1800 into an ice resurfacer. I got the tractor bought, serviced and all the repairs needed completed. The 3pt lifting arms were shortened to give me a little more lifting power and extra weights were added to the front. I think some on here will find it an interesting post so stay tuned.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Paul could start a new t.v. show and call it Trick my Tractor or Pimp My Tractor where he takes old hunks of junks and truns them into one bas ass machiene!!!

Wildfire

Equipment
Paul could start a new t.v. show and call it Trick my Tractor or Pimp My Tractor where he takes old hunks of junks and truns them into one bas ass machiene!!!
Eric I might be able to pull it off but the language could be as bad as it is on OCC :). Maybe we could use the members on here to do guest appearances.
Ya that would work :D

Amazing work Paul! You make already well built things even better.
Thank you very much sir. Glad you enjoyed seeing it.