Extreme Newbie w 5 Acres

Always Learning 78

Aug 7, 2024
PGsucks46*
I've gone through a few of the newbie posts and didn't quite see what I'm looking for, so a new post. New both to land ownership of this magnitude and this magnitude of equipment. At age 46, I don't anticipate ever moving to anything bigger than this. Moving is too much work!

Just purchased 5 acres in SW WA, mostly pasture (or rather, grass, brush, and weeds at the moment), a lot of blackberry on the fence lines and down towards the creek at the bottom of the property. I'm thinking I need a sub-compact (not sure I could store anything larger in the shop). Some slope, but not too much. If you would:

1) Is there some tractors for dummies article or set of articles? I'm not a dummy, but I am not ashamed to admit ignorance. I was originally thinking a riding mower would do it, but now with all the blackberries and brush, need to move things here and there, desire to re-habilitate and re-wild some of the land, seems more is needed.

2) Recommend something. I'm thinking BX2380 for the following:
- Normal mowing (maybe 1+ acres)
- Mowing down brush (maybe 2 acres)
- Mowing down blackberries, moving them
- Moving wood, maybe rock and gravel
- Fill/level some areas
- Maybe fence repair
- Stuff I haven't even thought of yet

3) What else should I do / know / read that'd be helpful? I am planning on interrogating people at the nearest tractor dealership, but while I'm sure helpful, also assume some salesmanship.

Thanks. I've appreciated reading others' posts and great responses.

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
I do pretty much what you are looking to do. We mow with mmm the one acre. We have a 4 ft brush hug for small saplings and brush. We habe small grapple and pallet forks to move wood and small logs. Bx can not lift alot. We use box blade to move dirt and resurface gravel drive and parking. Bx is good size but at times could use larger but then i would lose manueverability. Hope this helps.