Engine turns over but won't start. No smoke.

Lzybmbjj30

Equipment
G1900
Aug 17, 2016
louisville
Okay so I got the head gasket replaced and the valve lash set using the EOIC method for every cylinder. Everything is back together. The battery needed a jump start but the engine only turns over and won't actually start. I bled the fuel lines until each one showed a little fuel. The fuel tank is full. There was a little bit of bubbling as i tightened the fuel lines down. Usually there is some smoke from the exhaust while it's turning over but not now. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I bled the fuel lines until each one showed a little fuel. The fuel tank is full. There was a little bit of bubbling as i tightened the fuel lines down.
There should be no bubbles when it's completely bleed.
And there should be more than just a little fuel.
Did you have the throttle set to high?
Also, check the fuel stop solenoid for proper operation.

Lzybmbjj30

Equipment
G1900
Aug 17, 2016
louisville
I think the throttle is on the halfway point. Didn't try setting it on high. The fuel oozes out but it's not like it's spraying all over the place when I loosen the nuts. I don't know how to tell if the fuel stop solenoid is working. There is a thing with a wire that screws into the corner of the cylinder head but I don't know what it's for. The wire on it was a little frayed and I patched it w/electric tape.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
G1900 I assume?

Fuel system is bled at the fuel inlet. There is a bolt where the fuel line goes into the injection pump. Loosen bolt, turn key on (no need to crank), wait for the fuel to stop bubbling, then tighten-you're done at that point. If no fuel comes out there, then suspect the fuel line/filters plugged or failing electric fuel pump (or it's wiring).

No smoke=no fuel obviously.

Opening the throttle won't help because of the way the governor works. Below about 400 RPM engine speed, including cranking speed, the rack is already pulled to full flow aka wide open.

Lzybmbjj30

Equipment
G1900
Aug 17, 2016
louisville
Yes g1900. Okay so I loosened the nut and turned the key and gas comes out like normal. There are no air bubbles but still no smoke and no start. I loosened the top injectors where they go into the engine head and cranked the engine and barely anything comes out but a few drips. Is it possible that the air in the lines is between the inlet and the injectors?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes g1900. Okay so I loosened the nut and turned the key and gas comes out like normal. There are no air bubbles but still no smoke and no start. I loosened the top injectors where they go into the engine head and cranked the engine and barely anything comes out but a few drips. Is it possible that the air in the lines is between the inlet and the injectors?
You said gas, you meant Diesel right? :eek:

Yes there can be air in the lines between injection pump and the injectors, this is why you crack the fittings and crank it till it clean fuel with no bubbles, it won't be a ton, but it won't be a tiny bit either.

Lzybmbjj30

Equipment
G1900
Aug 17, 2016
louisville
Ok so I bled the lines and there is smoke when it turns over but it still won't start. The glow plug light won't on but once in awhile. the middle screw on the second glow plug is missing. I'm wondering if maybe the glow plugs aren't working

Lzybmbjj30

Equipment
G1900
Aug 17, 2016
louisville
I checked the glow plugs with a voltmeter and they are all fine. The battery gets 12 v. I still have to hook it to my car to jumpstart it or it will eventually fail to turn over. The cranking is kind of slow and sluggish but not too bad but I just can't seem to get it to start for some reason. I've heard that if the compression is low that the cranking would be much faster than normal but I'm not sure if this is true for diesels.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The glow plug light won't on but once in awhile. the middle screw on the second glow plug is missing. I'm wondering if maybe the glow plugs aren't working
I don't know how your machine is wired, but on mine the glow plug power is wired in series through the glow plug indicator. If it isn't glowing, the power ain't flowing. The power flows through the glow plugs to ground in parallel, but the plugs are connected sequentially -- a missing screw from one means that one and all those further down the chain are not getting power.

I would replace the missing screw, fully charge the battery, then test for voltage at each glow plug with the ignition switch in the glow position. There should be voltage present, but it should be less than battery voltage (having been reduced by going through the indicator).

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
You said it seemed to crank sluggishly. Try jump starting directly on the starter.

You should replace the nut on the glow plug rail, but you're probably still getting voltage to all 3 glow plugs. Maybe not, but there's probably enough contact without the nut.

Like NIW said, crack each injector at the head and crank until you see no air bubbles. Do one line at a time.

DO NOT give in to the temptation to use starting fluid!

Hang in there. Good guys here that will help as long as you give good feedback.

Reactions: 1 user