[Electrical] Preventative Maintenance

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I put Dielectric Grease on all 12v connections today. I did not do the Glow Plug connections, yet.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
A common misconception is that dielectric grease is capable of conducting electricity. In fact, dielectric grease is an insulator and doesn't conduct electricity. Thanks AI

Reactions: 1 user

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
A common misconception is that dielectric grease is capable of conducting electricity. In fact, dielectric grease is an insulator and doesn't conduct electricity. Thanks AI
back in the day used to "mud" trucks through very deep water.
back then the use of di-electric grease started to be used by similar riders anticipating it would make the connections water proof. What ended up happening was a lot of trucks caught fired and burned to the ground!
Happens when the connection this grease is used on is a little loose or grease gets between the mating surfaces. The grease then prevents electricity making the required connection and fires ensue and/or on the more modern stuff fries the ecu's/computers. Great stuff for preventing corrosion though on tight connections to cover outside but definitely not between mating surfaces where you want the juice to flow.

cheers

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Whoops. Crayola.

I suppose I'll be cleaning all them connections with electrical contact cleaner now.

Thanks for the feedback.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I use chassis grease or Vaseline on bulb sockets on my old cars and the tractor to keep out moisture. If I have to clean a bulb socket, I spray it with brake cleaner and use a plumber wire 1/2" brush to brighten the inside. Ib electrical circuits that I want to keep good conductivity and keep moisture out of I use cosmoline. This is an old Navy trick that I learned from a friend who was in the Navy. I buy cans of Spray On PDRP (cosmoline in a spray can).

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I have used dielectric grease on vehicle connectors for decades. Not once have I experienced an electrical malfunction with properly mated connectors. If the grease gets between the mating surfaces of the pins, there is already an issue with the connector.
Some good reading (by a manufacturer of insulating and conductive lubricants) that will explain:

Reactions: 1 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
If you are trying to prevent corrosion and seal out water, you may find that a quick spray of Corrosion X does a great job, and it is easy to use - safe on all electronics.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I'll stay with using the Dielectric Grease. My grandfather used it for YEARS without problems.

Thanks all for the input.

Reactions: 3 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Dielectric Grease (such as silicone-types like DowCorning DC4, etc) is also good when a dab is spread on spin-on filter gaskets, making future removal simple and easy.

The filter mfr’r instructs to use motor oil or chassis grease.
Bad Idea.
The reason to use a lubricant is to prevent the gasket from becoming dislodged during installation. But the problem with using motor oil or chassis grease is that the engine heat will cook and coke the oil/grease making the gasket STICK and preventing easy removal. It also can cause the gasket to separate from the filter during removal and remain on the Block! ….and that might go unnoticed and cause a leak at the next installation.

Use “silicone” grease or dielectric grease instead. Just a “dab”. It’s what is done on aircraft and is what I’ve done for decades on all spin on filters. They come off by hand.

(Caution: Do NOT overtighten them. The dielectric grease will make it easy to overtighten also. Install them until they bottom-out and then ONE more turn only.…(or to the specified torque.)

Try it. You’ll like it.

PS: I don’t believe for a minute that dielectric grease was the cause of an electrical fire due to loose or poor electrical connections. That’s an example of really misinformed, amateur investigation. The dielectric grease does Not prevent electricity making the required connection.…. the loose/lousy connection does that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Whoops. Crayola.

I suppose I'll be cleaning all them connections with electrical contact cleaner now.

Thanks for the feedback.
The pins/contacts still touch. The grease helps to prevent corrosion.
Car manufacturers use it on things like headlight connections.
And it helps keep spark plug boots from sticking.
Ect.

back in the day used to "mud" trucks through very deep water.
back then the use of di-electric grease started to be used by similar riders anticipating it would make the connections water proof. What ended up happening was a lot of trucks caught fired and burned to the ground!
Happens when the connection this grease is used on is a little loose or grease gets between the mating surfaces. The grease then prevents electricity making the required connection and fires ensue and/or on the more modern stuff fries the ecu's/computers. Great stuff for preventing corrosion though on tight connections to cover outside but definitely not between mating surfaces where you want the juice to flow.

cheers
The problem is with the loose connection, not the grease.
In fact, the grease should help prevent arcing in that case (loose connection).
The grease won't prevent a tight connection from working, it's easily pushed aside by the terminals.