Does FEL have a safety bypass ?

rkutzner

Equipment
L3700SU
Sep 24, 2011
westminster, md
I was unloading a car lift package off an 18 wheeler and the L3700SU FEL was fairly extended. The lift package was 2000 lbs and fairly long in length. My idea was to lift the back up an inch or two, pull it back til the other end was almost off, set it down, lift the other side and have the truck pull away. It ALMOST worked that way except when I tried to lift the package up it wouldn't lift. I was near the end of the FEL extension but I think there was another foot of lift left. I tilted the forks down, snugged it up to the package, tilted the forks up and got enough lift by tilting the forks to get the job done.

My loader is rated for 1100 at the pivot and 853 at 18" out. Is that what I was running into, I just was asking too much? Does the weight of the pallet fork attachment count in this equation (heavy duty skid steer I borrowed off a friend). Is there a safety bypass valve or did it just not have enough 'juice'? It held the package up without giving and lowered it smoothly so I'm thinking I learned a little about my tractors limits today !

And, yes, I had a 1000 lb ballast box on the rear......

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I agree! you just learned some things about your tractor today! The weight of whatever bucket, forks or other attachment is part of the 1100#.
Ed

rkutzner

Equipment
L3700SU
Sep 24, 2011
westminster, md
I also learned that all my friends attachments are of the commercial quality. He said the pallet forks are an easy 300 lbs. I didn't have a chance ! Fortunately the Con-Way guy was real friendly and had that tilt idea up his sleeve. His second idea was to pick it up in the center once I had it partway off. I told him no way I could lift 2000 lbs ! He was like "oh yeah, I'm so used to working with skid steers....". He also said, "don't worry, residential deliveries are just part of the business and mine was smoother than most. You had no reason to think you'd have an issue".