Diesel Fuel Caddy

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I hate using 5 or 6 gallon diesle fuel containers to fuel my JD and Kubota tractors, so I've been looking for a 15 or 20 gallons barrel to make a portable fuel caddy. I mentioned it to a friend, and he gave me a plastic 15 gallon barrel that he had no use for. I rinsed it put with water, then with some gas, and then finally with some diesel fuel. I had bought a small submersible pump a couple of years ago when I first came up with the idea, and bought a couple of new plastic bungs with the proper buttress thread to fit the barrel openings. With a bunch of other parts I had on hand, I assembled all the necessary fittings including a quick coupler so I could remove the hose and nozzle when putting it in the truck to fill it up.
I was trying to decide on how to power it, when I remembered that they make adapters to attach to various power tool batteries to power other items, so I found one on Amazon for one of my 12 volt Dewalt batteries. I wired it up to the pump switch and added a Weather Pack connector so I could remove also, it when refilling the barrel.
I also added an inline filter for good measure.
I also made up a carrier out of a piece of 1 1/2" X 1/4" bar stock bent into an octagon and casters I had on hand, then gave it a coat of Kubota orange paint.
I got it all together and filled it up at the Co-Op Saturday, used the BX to lift it out of the truck onto the carrier. I plugged the battery into it and gave it a try, to top off the tank on the BX, and it works fine, just not really fast. It probably only pumps a gallon or two a minute, but that's fine, still beats wrestling 5 or 6 gallon cans.
Another one of my many little projects finally built and working.

IMG_20240602_163340181.jpg

IMG_20240605_141022578.jpg

IMG_20240607_155433806.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’ll bet that IS easier to use than those 5-gal cans.. (Of course, you are still required to use the 5-gal cans when refueling your GREEN tractors.) :ROFLMAO:

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I hate using 5 or 6 gallon diesle fuel containers to fuel my JD and Kubota tractors, so I've been looking for a 15 or 20 gallons barrel to make a portable fuel caddy.
That's an awesome solution and I particularly like your octagonal cart.(y)

I'm with you on the 5 gallon containers. I gave most of them away to my neighbor when I bought the 58 gallon JohnDow tank for the bed of my truck. If I never use one again I'll be a happy camper.

You mention flow rate. The 106 gallon JohnDow in the garage seems to meet the 10gpm rating of the pump, but the new bed mounted tank is way slower at maybe 2gpm. I'll need to investigate why there's a discrepancy between the two.

I run the JohnDow in the bed of the truck off one of the batteries under the hood. I'd like to rig up something external to connect the alligator clips to rather than have to raise the hood. Perhaps I could even use the 7-pin trailer plug on the bumper and add a suitable plug to the pump cables. :unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user