D600 hard start heavy white smoke until running

yooper jim

Equipment
BX2660
May 15, 2010
Northern Michigan
D600 sat for many years (one outside). It is a 1800 RPM (I think) engine out of a reefer. Engine would turn over easily with wrench on crank. When I drained the oil, it had several cups of clear water in it. I assume rain water, because stack is pointed up and had a plastic bag stuck in it. Engine had anti freeze in it and was full, so it didn't come from there (I assume). Pulled glow plugs added some oil to each cylinder and cranked it over for a while. Did this several times. While they were out, I hooked up the three glow plugs and the all turned red when energized. It was very very hard to start the first time. Smoked white like heck at start up, but ran rather well. Ran for 15 min.

Changed oil and filter again, while hot. No water. Started again and ran for awhile. Steam and water came out of the breather tube off the valve cover. After it warmed up well this stopped (residual rain water?)

Checked compression and all were in range. Front cylinder was 385 PSI and the other two were both 425 PSI. 385 is within 10% of the other two. So I assume it is ok. Hard to start as usual. While running I cracked each injector line and each made a difference.

Very hard to start even at 50F with glow plugs. 30 sec (at least) of cranking and it stumbles along like it is flooded and belches white smoke. When it catches it runs ok with no smoke. Have to use glow plugs to restart even when warm. Doesn't seem to have the power it should. Anyone have any suggestions on what to check next?
Thank
Jim

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Did you change the fuel and air filters? How old is the fuel in the tank? Even if the fuel was fresh it still would be a good idea to put a little conditioner if the fuel. It may have some trash in the system.

My old B 7100 was always hard to start. It didn't matter if it was in the 80's I still had to use the G plugs. It also blew white smoke when it was cold and gradually went away after it started warming up.

yooper jim

Equipment
BX2660
May 15, 2010
Northern Michigan
All new fuel, lines, tank, pump and filters. Fuel is left over from winter and has Lucas anti gel in it. So I figure the fuel system is covered. Sorry I should have mentioned that. Maybe a cetane boost and injector cleaner?
Thanks
Jim