Cut Height and Greasing on a BX.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
MY wife figured the grass wasnt close enough unless she could see the worms arses,,, so cutting height is subjective

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I have Tall Fescue. Mow about 3", once a week and less as the season progresses.
Sharpen the blades once a year at the beginning of the mowing season. I'll sharpen blades 3 or 4 times before the wear is such that I replace the blades.
I've never balanced them, just when grinding sort of make the two sides of the blade 'match'. I've never noticed vibrations from them.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Grease when I removed the deck for winter. I’ll grease it middle of the season and end of season when I pull it off stays on when I grease middle of the season. Cut mine a 3 setting.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Oh yea I mow at 2.5 to 3 inches so my grass survives dry spells and thrives to choke out weeds. The best weed control is a thick turf.

The grease thing makes me chuckle. Exmark does not have grease zerks on the blade spindles. Only 20 years old. I bought a new Snapper rear engine rider 35 - 40 years ago. The dealer told me that the blade spindle gets greased once a year. It has sealed bearings and really doesn't need grease but people want to grease things so there is a zerk there.

Take a look at this video. The Truth About Mower Spindles (youtube.com)

Last edited:

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Oh yea I mow at 2.5 to 3 inches so my grass survives dry spells and thrives to choke out weeds. The best weed control is a thick turf.

The grease thing makes me chuckle. Exmark does not have grease zerks on the blade spindles. Only 20 years old. I bought a new Snapper rear engine rider 35 - 40 years ago. The dealer told me that the blade spindle gets greased once a year. It has sealed bearings and really doesn't need grease but people want to grease things so there is a zerk there.

Take a look at this video. The Truth About Mower Spindles (youtube.com)
[I have a 30 year plus old Gravely with a about fifteen
zero fittings on it. I serviced the deck once a year along with greasing it. In all those years I had one spindle go. The grease was pumped in with a hand held gun..On the Kubota I'm using and Lincoln air gun which I believe gets more grease into the fittings and spindles.. I've been cutting at 3 1/25 height going to lower it t
3. Thanks for the replies, I'm in the ballpark anyway.)

]

Vincek

Equipment
greasing gun
May 12, 2024
australia
Hey guys I'm new, I just bought my mower. I'm wondering if any of you has tried multiple lubrication already? what's the best one you guys tried? there is so many options out there. please help

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks Trimley, Every time I cut I make sure it's dry grass,which helps. I clean the underside of the deck and sharpen the blades and grease every time I pull them deck ,which has been every 10 hours. Pulling the deck every ten hours seems obsessive or is it just me ?
"obsessive"!

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (details in profile)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
I follow what's in the manual, figuring they put it in there for a reason. Lube is cheap, stuff that moves needs it, so I do it when they say to do it. (Plus the mid-mount mower comes off a lot so I have ground clearance.

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
I follow what's in the manual, figuring they put it in there for a reason. Lube is cheap, stuff that moves needs it, so I do it when they say to do it. (Plus the mid-mount mower comes off a lot so I have ground clearance.
[ Thanks for the reply. I end up pulling the deck off about three times a season..The machine will be two years old in July and it has 58 hours on it. I cutting at 3 inches ever week or so, unless we get more rain. Then I can cut more often. Every time I pull the deck I clean , sharpen the blades and grease the machine. My dealership says twice a season is about average for servicing the deck. ]

Reactions: 1 user