Cone or screw type wood splitter?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I dont have one or know anybody who does own one. But from what I've gatherd after a little bit of research its a bit you put on the end of the post hole digger to split wood. I cant really see screwing something into logs would be that useful for spliting. To me theres not enough weight from the post hole digger boom to power threw the logs.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I agree with Eric about the weight. That bit would really need to be able to get a bite to work. I wouldn't want to be in the same state if it hung up and started twirling the log like a batton.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Dusty Ditto on Eric and Bulldog :D

I watched the video on the e bay link and that thing is slllllooooooooowwww compared to a traditional log splitter.

I was a little on edge when the guy had his face right next to the log being split. You can see the log being torqued against the rail and if it popped loose the guy would get it right in the fricken head :eek:

This remeinded me of another log splitting thread started by cabu. On that thread gmtinker made this post that linked to this video. It's one of the scariest things I've seen in my life!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Wow, I checked out those splitter videos. I wander how many of the people in those families have to pick their nose with their elbow? I bet they have 911 on speed dial.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I used a cone/screw wood splitter for several years some time back. Still have it in fact.

First, as others have noted, they are extremely dangerous. Unless the end of the log is firmly secured it will spin and cause serious damage to body parts or anything nearby.

Mine was used on the rear wheel of a truck, sometimes a Jeep, so the ground acted as the stabilizing point. After a while a hole would be dug and the log spinning would start. A kill switch to the spark plug coil was an absolute necessity. One inch plywood was finally used to keep from digging a hole.

The cone/screw splitters attached to a PHD would have the added disadvantage of having a swivel on top of the PHD to further reduce control.

The device actually splits straight-grained wood quite well but anything else is a nightmare.

My advice is to stay away from that style of splitter.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I used a cone/screw wood splitter for several years some time back. Still have it in fact.

First, as others have noted, they are extremely dangerous. Unless the end of the log is firmly secured it will spin and cause serious damage to body parts or anything nearby.

Mine was used on the rear wheel of a truck, sometimes a Jeep, so the ground acted as the stabilizing point. After a while a hole would be dug and the log spinning would start. A kill switch to the spark plug coil was an absolute necessity. One inch plywood was finally used to keep from digging a hole.

The cone/screw splitters attached to a PHD would have the added disadvantage of having a swivel on top of the PHD to further reduce control.

The device actually splits straight-grained wood quite well but anything else is a nightmare.

My advice is to stay away from that style of splitter.
Sounds like good advise to me.

Nice looking fleet you have there.

stanster

Jan 18, 2010
west unity, ohio
Thanks GWD, wanted to hear from someone thats used one. Looked like it would work well on big stuff but I kinda wondered what would happen if you got into some gnarly twisted stuff and stalled the tractor out! Guess Ill stick with the old wedge type splitter unless I can get my hands on one of these babies---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gH_J7X8zdk