clutch problems

mikesmith1859

Sep 4, 2009
Denver NC 28037
I have an M6800 with a cab. It has 700 hrs and I have a loader on it and use it for moving hay and making hay. The clutch pedal is right at the top and I tried to adjust the cable that has 2 12mm nuts on the end that have to be loosened to adjust. I have only adjusted these 2 other times and have only noticed a clutch smell one time in the field when going up a rough hillside and I slipped it a few years ago. The other day the clutch was catching in the middle of the pedal travel and then after some use it was back at the top but it seemed to be slipping at that point for the first time. I have adjusted the cable at least a half inch but it doesn't seem to change anything. Is there another place for adjustment or a secret grease fitting like on the L series. I have priced the parts and mine serial # takes a clutch disc that is $800 other serial #'s the same year have discs that are $300. Why the difference in price? And do I have any cheaper better options besides OEM parts? I can't believe that I am having to possibally replace a clutch in this tractor that I bought new and have been to only operator with only 700 hrs. What a disappointment! I have also had to replace every component in the air conditioning system last year at a shocking cost of over $2500 for parts not including the labor for this. Another BIG disappointment with the orange tractor.

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Mike what's your serial number and I will check your line set ticket to see what clutch you have for sure. I suspect you have the solo double disc equivilent to the Eaton-Fuller USA clutch at that price. We had trouble with the M9000 before the hydraulic shuttle came out which is a wet clutch system but requires clutching between forward gears. It sounds like your input shaft splines are dry and the pressure plate is not letting the clutch friction disc seat into the flywheel as designed. :( Mike as far as any air conditioned cab goes they are expensive to repair. The smaller more compact they are the more expense you have when changing components out during repair. $2500 does sound like a lot of labor was the reason more so than parts. Get back to us we will help...:)

Last edited:

mikesmith1859

Sep 4, 2009
Denver NC 28037
My M6800 serial # is 61114. I got the price from a local dealer. I would sure hate to pay to have a new clutch put in if it is just a dry input shaft. How can I access the imput shaft to correct this? Also the $2500 I spent on the cab A/C was just for parts. Here again there were 2 options on the condensor core and mine was about triple the price of the other option for that year. My question is if my big ticket items for replacement are so much higher than the other ones that year why are they failing prematurely? It is time for me to start making hay again and I need to get my tractor running at tip top for this. Thanks for your help.

mikesmith1859

Sep 4, 2009
Denver NC 28037
I have been checking my personal emails and have not seen one from you yet. Have you sent a response that I have missed? If so please resend and let me know who am am looking for. Thanks

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Yes I sent you a private message to your profile address and open up your home page and see if it made it. If not let me know and we will Email....

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have an M6800 with a cab. It has 700 hrs and I have a loader on it and use it for moving hay and making hay. The clutch pedal is right at the top and I tried to adjust the cable that has 2 12mm nuts on the end that have to be loosened to adjust. I have only adjusted these 2 other times and have only noticed a clutch smell one time in the field when going up a rough hillside and I slipped it a few years ago. The other day the clutch was catching in the middle of the pedal travel and then after some use it was back at the top but it seemed to be slipping at that point for the first time. I have adjusted the cable at least a half inch but it doesn't seem to change anything. Is there another place for adjustment or a secret grease fitting like on the L series. I have priced the parts and mine serial # takes a clutch disc that is $800 other serial #'s the same year have discs that are $300. Why the difference in price? And do I have any cheaper better options besides OEM parts? I can't believe that I am having to possibally replace a clutch in this tractor that I bought new and have been to only operator with only 700 hrs. What a disappointment! I have also had to replace every component in the air conditioning system last year at a shocking cost of over $2500 for parts not including the labor for this. Another BIG disappointment with the orange tractor.
Mike have Pat call Tim back he has quite a story to tell you about your clutch. I was surprised what I found out about your M6800s problem....:D