Changing Hydraulic Fluid (Filters & Fluid Weights)

MillerFamilyFarmTrust

Equipment
B7510
The recommended Hydraulic Fluid for Kubota Tractors is SUPER UDT2 Fluid and is recommended for both the HSD and HST models but it is $140 delivered for 2.5 Gallons

OR

I have found the very best pricing for both the filter and alternative hydraulic fluid for my B7510HSD and have listed them below for your convenience. I chose the mid-weight ISO 68 (Summer Applications) for the hydraulic fluid as I am in Florida and if you are in colder climates then Kubota recommends the following

Hydraulic Oil-Excavator and Compact Track Loader Summer or High Ambient Temperature Applications*** ISO 68 Only $55 Delivered for 5 Gallons/18 Liters

Hydraulic Oil- Factory Fill - Excavator and Compact Track Loader Winter Applications*** ISO 46 ONLY $48 DELIVERED for 5 Gallons

Filter Maintenance Kit for HST (hydrostatic transmissions) and fits these Kubota Models: Kubota B26, B7500, B7510, B7610, B2410 D HST (HST=Hydrostatic Transmission) and if you have a HSD model you will NOT use one of the filters in this kit. ONLY $68 Delivered

OR if you just want the hydraulic filter only then Baldwin BT8902 ONLY$19 Delivered

Don't forget to change your oil in the front axle assembly at the same time: Lucas Oil 80w-90 Gear Oil, 1 Gallon Only $32 Delivered

Hope this helps everyone a great deal as it took me my whole morning to find the best prices and best quality on these items. Good Luck!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I can certainly appreciate the time and effort involved to find an alternative to SUDT2 and filters.

Now for the bad news....

As you say, the recommended fluid is SUDT2 for HST and HSD.

There are many cases here on OTT where folks have tried to find a CHEAP alternative to SUDT2 or filters, and have catastrophic tractor failures due to the alternative fluid or filter.

I checked:

https://www.messicks.com/part/department/kubotafluids

2.5 gallons of SUDT2 is $55. 5 gallons is $104. There's $85 added for shipping of 2.5 gallons? I go to a local dealer, and the price is about the same - $55 or $104.

My tractor cost about $15,000 new with attachments. Since it's small, a complete HST service is ~$100, required every 4 years or $25/year. Does $15/year make sense, if I risk damaging my tractor?

Again, appreciate your work, but what you may find here on OTT is that the consensus for HST machines is to stick with Kubota fluids for the hydraulic/HST system. Also stay with Kubota filters. However, for motor oil, use whatever oil you like, as long as it's diesel approved. For most of the smaller tractors, any good green coolant is fine.

MillerFamilyFarmTrust

Equipment
B7510
RCW thanks for the reply even though it is a financially painful reply. No one wants a major failure in exchange for saving a few bucks but I just wondered how much of a difference there could be in different brands and I have a HSD not a HST so the fluid isn't being used to push my transmission. Thanks for your feedback.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
A B7510 is a very capable tractor. It also has value.

I have no idea your tractor's condition, or how equipped. That said here is one for sale without a front-end loader (FEL) for $7,000:

https://www.equipmenttrader.com/Far...&utm_term=tractors&utm_content=Tractors - DSA

Doesn't that make it good enough to take care of??

Given your many other posts today, I believe you're looking to do it right. There are some VERY skilled and knowledgeable folks here that are more than willing to help. OTT is a great forum!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a HSD not a HST so the fluid isn't being used to push my transmission.
An HSD and an HST are the same, both are different ways of saying hydrostatic drive tractors.

Now do you have a B7510D, that's a different tractor, that is a gear drive tractor.

And yes even with a gear drive the fluid and filters matter, greatly.
I can't tell you how many times I've dealt with someone saying their cheap fluid works the same or better only to have to work on a tractor that they have done damage to due to bad filters or fluids.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I have been burned (once) with aftermarket transmission filters. Fortunately in my case the machine failed to properly move immediately after the filter change, and the OEM replacement fixed the issue.
I do not use aftermarket transmission / hydraulic filters or fluid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
That is not the correct fluid for your tractor.

NIH is correct. Run what you want, it's your tractor....and he's right....can't tell you how many tractors I've had to deal with too that had incorrect fluid in them, INCLUDING my brother's older grand L. GST. GST shuttle clutch is bad, has always run 303 in it and it's always been harsh shifting. Super UDT in those works awesome; it's designed for it. Can't tell you how many tractors I've dealt with at work...run cheap fluid in them, several years later show back up at the shop needing thousands and sometimes tens of thousands in repairs, and worse yet the downtime, the aggravation, the inconvenience involved with a large repair job. Yes the fluid has been found at fault in quite a few of those cases.

Case in point, the grand L propeller shaft seals leaking. Most of the time it's due to neglect of the hydraulic/transmission fluid. The two collars have a rubber insert in the center of them which helps keep oil from getting past. Neglected fluid and/or improper fluid causes the seal material to shrink and then they leak, oil runs into the bellhousing, leaks out of the little hole, and people are so quick to blame Kubota for a "poor design"...when in fact most of the time it's not Kubota's fault.

ISO 46 and 68 are HYDRAULIC fluid. They are not designed to be used in a transmission. Transmissions have gears in 'em (duh?). The meshing gears tend to shear the fluid. ISO doesn't have the additives needed to properly lubricate the geartrain and their bearings, thus at some point you'll likely have to go into the HST and/or main transmission and/or differential. That doesn't even count the brakes (wet brakes) which require a specific additive to keep them alive.

Again it's your money and your choice and your tractor. I certainly don't mind working on them. That's how I make my living. ;)