Changing Hydraulic filters B3300SU

jeffjoseph1

Equipment
B3300SU
Mar 24, 2015
Magdalena, NM
New here. I have a B3300SU and am doing the 50 hour service. I am changing the HST and hydraulic filters. The manual is a bit confusing. Do I need to drain the oil to do this? What happens if I don't?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
New here. I have a B3300SU and am doing the 50 hour service. I am changing the HST and hydraulic filters. The manual is a bit confusing. Do I need to drain the oil to do this? What happens if I don't?
no you do not - have the new filter ready, with some new oil around the gasket, and then do the quickest swap possible - sometimes it can go easy so times messy - but most of the time very little is lost. Less than a pint/quart if that much. The HST filter screen IS A little different !!! That is a harder situation to get right !:)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
In these situations I opt for just draining the fluid into some clean buckets, changing the filters and then add the fluid back in. :)
Gives you a chance to clean the magnet on the plug and get a good look at the fluid condition.;)

ibunker

Equipment
B3300SU w/BK76, Box blade, DR wood chipper
Dec 5, 2010
Port Orchard, WA
The 50 hour service says to replace the Transmission oil filter which is on the left side, filter #HH660-36060, also at 200 and 400 hour. You do not need to drain the oil to do this as very little will come out. The hydraulic filter (right side) is replaced at the 400 hour service along with the hydraulic fluid, also removing and cleaning the hydraulic strainer. If the hydraulic filter is removed, you will want to drain the system as you will get a couple of gallons comes out if not drained prior. Most will say they replace the fluid at 50 hour service. I'm sure the engineers who made up the maintenance schedule have their reasons for this, but it's up to you to decide.

Truttles77

Equipment
2013 kubota B3300su, land pride rtr12 tiller, land pride fdr1672 finishing mower
Dec 28, 2016
Athens, Michigan
Similar question to above. I'm also a new owner and new member to the site. I wish I would have seem this before starting my 50 hour service. I war attempting to change the transmission oil filter but due to the poor diagram I removed the filter on the right side (hydraulic filter) and attempted to change that. It obviously did not work, and I lost a good portion of the fluid... Probably at least a gallon. My question is, since i put the old filter back on, should I just change the transmission filter like I originally intended and then top them both back off? Or should I now completely drain the hydraulic fluid and do that as well?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

427cjackson

Equipment
2004 Kubota L3830HST 1600hrs, 9' BH90, Bobcat 6' box blade, Woods BB60 Cutter
Jul 23, 2014
Hollis, ME
If you leave the fill cap on (to maintain suction) and raise the tractor up on the side the filter is mounted (park sideways on an incline), you won't lose much fluid. Changing both hydraulic and HST filters I may lose about a gallon...just be ready to screw on the new filter immediately. I don't take the chance reusing fluid.

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
I've done this a couple times now and it works marvelously.

If you put a shop vac hose in the hydraulic filler hole (where you pour in the hydraulic fluid), it'll create enough suction and negative pressure that you'll barely lose a drop of fluid while changing the filters.

A previous commenter mentions which one tends to lose the most fluid (right side filter, I believe). This trick has always worked for me and I never have to find a clean bucket to drain the fluid into. This is good since I never have a clean bucket! It seriously takes less than 30 seconds to spin one filter off and another back on when you don't have to mess with draining and filling the fluid.

427cjackson

Equipment
2004 Kubota L3830HST 1600hrs, 9' BH90, Bobcat 6' box blade, Woods BB60 Cutter
Jul 23, 2014
Hollis, ME
I've done this a couple times now and it works marvelously.

If you put a shop vac hose in the hydraulic filler hole (where you pour in the hydraulic fluid), it'll create enough suction and negative pressure that you'll barely lose a drop of fluid while changing the filters.

A previous commenter mentions which one tends to lose the most fluid (right side filter, I believe). This trick has always worked for me and I never have to find a clean bucket to drain the fluid into. This is good since I never have a clean bucket! It seriously takes less than 30 seconds to spin one filter off and another back on when you don't have to mess with draining and filling the fluid.
I'm curious how you hook the shop vac up...did you craft a fitting, or do you have someone hold it on there while you replace the filters?

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
Hey bud,

When I typed that message I actually went to look and see if I had a picture. Unfortunately, I don't (I've seen pics here on OTT.)

But on my L3800, the hose goes about 1" down in the filler hole and just rests there. I've always done the task by myself but it'd probably be a little more secure to have someone hold the hose there. The had plastic end of my hose fits right in the hole. But, honestly, it doesn't take much suction to keep the hydraulic fluid from coming out of the filter pipe. It's a pretty robust technique so you could probably do it a lot of different ways and it'd still work.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Just drain the fluid and be done with it. It's cleaner and easier. I found metallic bits when I drained mine. True, not wholly necessary, but then neither is amsoil, and guys swear by it. :)