BX23S transmission rear cover oil leak

Bntlever

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Jun 20, 2020
Donner Summit
HST oil leaking from seam between the rear cover plate and the transmission case. Removed rear transmission cover plate (6 bolts). Cleaned cover, put new gasket sealer on cover. Trying to reinstall rear cover plate. The PTO gear shaft is sticking out approx. 1/4” too far. Keeps cover from sitting flush with back of transmission case.
How do I get the PTO gear shaft to move forward?

Reactions: 1 user

Bntlever

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Jun 20, 2020
Donner Summit
So, I put the PTO selector level in the mid PTO only position. This allows the rear PTO gear shaft to slide forward to the correct position. Refilled transmission with UDT2. See if there is any leakage overnight. Will get tractor up to normal operating temp tomorrow, check for leaks🤞

Reactions: 5 users

USBohemian

Equipment
bx2380
Jul 2, 2023
west point, VA
Any idea what caused it? My BX2380 has 168 hours on it and it developed a leak on the rear cover plate as well. Seems like this should not happen. It's due for HST oil change in 30 hous anyway. That's not a cheap fix. So, I guess I need to do the same, pull the 6 bolts and the plate.

JHardy1

Equipment
2018 Kubota BX2380
Mar 20, 2024
Tennessee
So, I put the PTO selector level in the mid PTO only position. This allows the rear PTO gear shaft to slide forward to the correct position. Refilled transmission with UDT2. See if there is any leakage overnight. Will get tractor up to normal operating temp tomorrow, check for leaks🤞
Any idea why the lever would not switch to mid pto only? Having the same issue and my lever will not lock into position to switch to mid only.

JHardy1

Equipment
2018 Kubota BX2380
Mar 20, 2024
Tennessee
Did you ever figure this out? Im currently in the same situation
The pto shaft will slide back in you just have to keep trying. I took mine to a local trusted mechanic and he was able to slide it in after a hour or so, after the pto selector was operational on the mid and rear.

Bntlever

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Jun 20, 2020
Donner Summit
If I remember correctly, I had rear wheels lifted with floor jack, trandmission in neutral (not high or low range), front axle disengaged. PTO lever moved easily to all positions.