BX23S tire question

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Will R4 rear tires work with turf tires up front when the tractor is in 4-wheel drive, or do I have to have R4 tires in the front also? Does anyone have any idea what a 26x12x12 R4 tire and rim presently costs at the dealership?

thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Dusty,

In theory - the R4 and Turfs have the same diameter. You should be fine. I have actually seen that several times on used equipment. R4 fronts wear out and they replace them with turfs.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Thanks. I picked up a set from a Kubota dealer today that were take-offs from tractors that they sold, but they had already sold all of the front tires and rims. I am thinking of installing ice spikes into them for when I encounter ice on the driveway.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
FWIW, Rear R4 are $350 tire and rim, $500 tire only, here in Canada,eh !
48 days until Spring,sooner, if you stud your new tires now !!

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Thanks. I picked up a set from a Kubota dealer today that were take-offs from tractors that they sold, but they had already sold all of the front tires and rims. I am thinking of installing ice spikes into them for when I encounter ice on the driveway.
I see you already bought them so it don't matter ... But...

I'm thinking to myself...

Wouldn't it be a LOT easier to put on a set of rear chains? Rather than change rear tires every time there is ice?

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I see you already bought them so it don't matter ... But...

I'm thinking to myself...

Wouldn't it be a LOT easier to put on a set of rear chains? Rather than change rear tires every time there is ice?
Chains on pavement are a very bumpy ride is my first reason. Just like my car, put the winter tires on in the fall and remove them in the spring. With a backhoe you don't even need to take the jack out of the garage, just use the backhoe stabilizers to raise it to swap the tires.

Reactions: 1 users

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
If you are going to put studs in the front tires you should foam fill them and use long studs.
I have studded the tires on my tractor. The rear tire studs are the still all original.
The front tire studs get pulled out when the tractor is in four wheel drive. I think if you used longer studs in the front tires they would stay better.
Not sure if the tire ratio is off or not. The tires are original on my tractor.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Cost of foam filling the front tires is about $100 per tire. Just not worth it to me. I don't need help steering, just for pushing when there is ice under the snow. I bought the tires so inexpensively if they don't work out, I am out only $150, and I most likely could sell them and recoup all my money.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Cost of foam filling the front tires is about $100 per tire. Just not worth it to me. I don't need help steering, just for pushing when there is ice under the snow. I bought the tires so inexpensively if they don't work out, I am out only $150, and I most likely could sell them and recoup all my money.
I take it you were talking about the price to foam fill front BX tires?

Wow, maybe you should look around. About three years ago my son-in-law bought a BX 23S and had all four tires from filled and it was under $400 for that. I know because I gave him 200 bucks as a tractor warming present. That was with 6% sales tax added. I remember because I thought at the time I paid for a little over half of what it cost to have his tires foam filled.

I know prices go up, but maybe you should call around and might find a industrial tire place that foam fills tires regularly and may have better prices.

Skander Tire in Evans city is the place to call for anybody in Southwestern PA. Located about 40 minutes north of Pittsburgh. Not too far from I 79.