BX23S - Glow plug relay sticking?

Darcy Costa Rica

Equipment
BX23S
Apr 30, 2024
Costa Rica
Hi,

My BX is about 2 years old, and recently the glow plug light has been staying on after I start the engine.

I tried the brain-dead solution - I tapped the panel with my knuckle, and the light went out!

This has become a pattern, so I think I need to replace something. Is there a glow plug relay mounted very close to the glow plug light? When I tap the panel and the light goes out, I see the RPMs increase by 2 or 3 hundred, so I know there is a significant current draw.

I tried finding a part in the online listings, but Kubota does not list a "Glow Plug Relay" in their parts pages (at least not one I could find). Do they have a different name for it?

Cheers, and thanks!

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Hi,

My BX is about 2 years old, and recently the glow plug light has been staying on after I start the engine.

I tried the brain-dead solution - I tapped the panel with my knuckle, and the light went out!

This has become a pattern, so I think I need to replace something. Is there a glow plug relay mounted very close to the glow plug light? When I tap the panel and the light goes out, I see the RPMs increase by 2 or 3 hundred, so I know there is a significant current draw.

I tried finding a part in the online listings, but Kubota does not list a "Glow Plug Relay" in their parts pages (at least not one I could find). Do they have a different name for it?

Cheers, and thanks!
Yes, there's a relay. It's listed, but maybe not pictured, on the Electrical Sensors and Relays page. It may matter whether you have the BX23S or BX23S-1 model.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
B21301.png

#060 are the relays, all the same, about $22 CDN. My guess, is the left side loner is the gloplug relay.
The 'sticking' is usually due to the relay contacts pitting from the arcing as the high current is switched. A higher quality relay will minimize this.

Reactions: 1 user

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Based on what you have said i think you should have someone with experience diagnose reason light malfunctions. If the problem turns out to be bad relay GreenJay's diagram makes replacement easy. Adding to GreenJay's excellent information, a pair of those $22 relays in parallel should out preform OEM and save you $100.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Yes, there's a relay. It's listed, but maybe not pictured, on the Electrical Sensors and Relays page. It may matter whether you have the BX23S or BX23S-1 model.
What is the BX23S-1 model? First I have seen that number. I only see the BX23S referred to on the Kubota site...I did see one YouTube video listed that referred to buying a BX23S-1 in Canada.

Can't claim to be the best a searching for information though.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
What is the BX23S-1 model? First I have seen that number. I only see the BX23S referred to on the Kubota site...I did see one YouTube video listed that referred to buying a BX23S-1 in Canada.

Can't claim to be the best a searching for information though.
I don't know, but there's another drawing, looks like possibly some plug-in relays. This is from Messick's.
Screenshot_20240503-140521-989.png