BX23 creeping forward in neutral

q240z

Equipment
BX23
Apr 20, 2022
MD
Hi.
My BX23D had been creeping forward in high or low gear without me touching the pedal since I bought it (used). I tried lubing every joint and greasing the pivot nipple, but it made no difference. The pedal spring was tensioned fine, and the damper was working properly. There were many threads I found here discussing creeping BXs, but all of them talked about following the steps in the factory workshop manual without showing the actual steps. So here are the steps I took to finally fix mine:

1) Raise the rear wheels off the ground using the outrigger stabilizers. Remove right rear wheel.
2) Loosen the neutral lever bolt (see pic below).
3) Start engine at idle speed and put the gear into the high (rabbit) range; the axle should begin rotating in the direction of the 'creep' you've been experiencing.
4) Move the top of the neutral lever to the left or right from its current position until the axle stops rotating.
5) Raise engine RPMs to half or more of rated max (1800 on my tachometer). If the axle begins rotating again, continue adjusting the neutral lever until it stops.
6) Tighten the neutral lever bolt. Shut off the engine. Install and torque the wheel. Lower tractor to the ground.

DSC08795.JPG

DSC08796.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi.
My BX23D had been creeping forward in high or low gear without me touching the pedal since I bought it (used). I tried lubing every joint and greasing the pivot nipple, but it made no difference. The pedal spring was tensioned fine, and the damper was working properly. There were many threads I found here discussing creeping BXs, but all of them talked about following the steps in the factory workshop manual without showing the actual steps. So here are the steps I took to finally fix mine:

1) Raise the rear wheels off the ground using the outrigger stabilizers. Remove right rear wheel.
2) Loosen the neutral lever bolt (see pic below).
3) Start engine at idle speed and put the gear into the high (rabbit) range; the axle should begin rotating in the direction of the 'creep' you've been experiencing.
4) Move the top of the neutral lever to the left or right from its current position until the axle stops rotating.
5) Raise engine RPMs to half or more of rated max (1800 on my tachometer). If the axle begins rotating again, continue adjusting the neutral lever until it stops.
6) Tighten the neutral lever bolt. Shut off the engine. Install and torque the wheel. Lower tractor to the ground.

View attachment 78822

View attachment 78825
Last fall I readjusted the conceptually similar HST neutral ramp on my 1994, B1750HST after replacing the return spring, the ramp roller bearing (OK, but replaced anyway) and a nylon bushing.

It had been creeping slightly for years, but no more.

Reactions: 1 user