bx2230 hydro leak

redneckarchery

Equipment
bx2230 fel,phd,bb,disc
Oct 18, 2010
blountstown,florida
i have a bx2230 that i purchased new in 2005. i serviced the tractor just as instructed. i have recently noticed a leaked directly under my seat from the hydro vent. i havent noticed that the fluid is milky and it isnt overfilled. my questions are;
1. i was told that there wasnt any difference between regular hydro fluid and kubota approved fluids. is this correct?
2. will this fluid be thicker and offer better performance.
3.when i change my fluids the implements should all be down correct.
4.if the seal or pump is damaged where is it located and how hard is it to replace.

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Wow, nice post. I'm gonna ramble here for a second.
Ok, the tractor was purchased brand new and you are the original owner.

You mentioned the leak is at the vent under the seat. What you are mentioning, is it the typical vent that is just a short rubber tube bent over about 180 degrees?

Is the fluid coming out of the vent or at its base? If it's coming out near the tube but NOT out of the tube then just maybe the vent tube is obstructed. Pull it out and see if you can blow a low amount of compressed air though it. Or whipe it off and put it to your lips and blow. There should be no resistance at all.

Is the fluid milky or is it perhaps slightly foamed and appears to be milky?
In order for it to be leaking fromt that area it's having to be slightly pressurized and an obstructed vent would cause your symptoms.

For the hydraulic fluid I use Coastal Multitrac fluid part number 42909 from Auto Zone. I have never had a problem with it and I know others on the OTT use it as well.

Check the vent and let us know what you find.

redneckarchery

Equipment
bx2230 fel,phd,bb,disc
Oct 18, 2010
blountstown,florida
thank you very much for the response.

i have pulled the vent tube out it has a rubber button on the top of it. more like a cap.i guess this is a sort of dust shield. i am hoping that the useage of cheaper fluid hasnt caused a seal to go out in the pump. some told me that back pressure could be causing this problem.
i am gonna change the filter today and fluid.
i left the bucket up and noticed that it took about 4 hours for it to come down roughly 3'. so from what i read i need to look for:
1. moisture (in the form of milky colored fluid)
how can i make sure that moisture doesnt build up inside the tranny?
i can store it inside, i have a 2400 sf cabinet shop just never place it inside.
2.should i pressure wash the rear transaxle
3.if it is the pump how difficult is it to replace.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Red, I'm not sure what is causing your problem, but you'll find a couple of hundred threads on this forum as to what fluid to use in you Kubota. I personally use Kubota UDT. As far as keeping your tractor in or out, I keep mine inside as much as possible. Here is why. I paid 20k for it and paid 34k for a Ford Super Duty w/ the 7.3 diesel that is 4 years newer. Guess which one is worth more? Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Red, I'm not sure what is causing your problem, but you'll find a couple of hundred threads on this forum as to what fluid to use in you Kubota. I personally use Kubota UDT. As far as keeping your tractor in or out, I keep mine inside as much as possible. Here is why. I paid 20k for it and paid 34k for a Ford Super Duty w/ the 7.3 diesel that is 4 years newer. Guess which one is worth more? Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Let me know when you want to sell the Kubota :D

(just kidding....I hear ya on the depreciation of a new truck though)

I was wondering if there wasn't hydraulic fluid coming out the vent(s) if the fluid is being pressurized to begin with.

Too much fluid after the service?...thought being that the problem didn't surface until after something else occured: the servicing. I know you said it isn't overfilled.....but, just thinking that there wasn't a issue before the service......it's where I always am suspicious after something doesn't work right when I do something and it starts.

Dave

redneckarchery

Equipment
bx2230 fel,phd,bb,disc
Oct 18, 2010
blountstown,florida
i am stil having the same problem. i ran it for 45 min cutting grass today and the fluid was being pushed out in a stream. seriously. how much is a replacement hydro pump and whats the part # i cant seem to find it anywhere. i was told that if one of the rings was defective in the pump it was cause back pressure. what do yall think. also is it too hard to replace?

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
i am stil having the same problem. i ran it for 45 min cutting grass today and the fluid was being pushed out in a stream. seriously. how much is a replacement hydro pump and whats the part # i cant seem to find it anywhere. i was told that if one of the rings was defective in the pump it was cause back pressure. what do yall think. also is it too hard to replace?
Are you sure it does not have water in it.:eek:

Milky, foamy oil:(