BX2200 MMM driveshaft will not release

arml

Equipment
B5100e BX2200 JD455AWS Kubota G1800
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
I can't get this driveshaft to move, collar retracts but the shaft will not slide off the splines....aside from a BF hammer what is the solution??? I've tried all I can think of with no luck. I recall it was very tight the last time I put it on....needed some persuasion to get it on. Or should I just forget it? Take it to a drive in car wash to clean the deck ? I am frustrated.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Perhaps you could spray some penetrating oil on it liberally, and give it some time to work and then try it again. I believe when you pull the collar back there’s some little balls in there that have to move out in order to pull the shaft off. If one of them is sticking for whatever reason the shaft will not come off easily.

Hard to get a BFH in there, at least on my BX2200. What tractor are you dealing with?

OK, I looked at the tread title so I see it is the BX2200…:)

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I used to have the same problem with my BX22, and I found that a small ball pean hammer tapping it off was the best way. I would drop the mower deck out from under the tractor and then only half of the driveshaft was much more manageable. I finally got tired of dealing with it, so I got under the tractor and using a can of spray brake cleaner and a brass wire brush, I cleaned the splines til I got every bit of grime off of it. Then I did the same with the driveshaft coupling. I started by putting the part that you pull back into a coffee can filled with carburetor cleaner and left it to soak for a day, then I started cleaning it with Q tips, a dentile pick, and rags. Once it was as clean as it could be I sprayed it with a light machine oil to keep it from rusting. Never had another problem with that mower deck coupling. When there was nothing on the PTO shaft, I would put a tight-fitting plastic sleeve on it to keep it from dirt accumulation.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I used to have the same problem with my BX22, and I found that a small ball pean hammer tapping it off was the best way. I would drop the mower deck out from under the tractor and then only half of the driveshaft was much more manageable. I finally got tired of dealing with it, so I got under the tractor and using a can of spray brake cleaner and a brass wire brush, I cleaned the splines til I got every bit of grime off of it. Then I did the same with the driveshaft coupling. I started by putting the part that you pull back into a coffee can filled with carburetor cleaner and left it to soak for a day, then I started cleaning it with Q tips, a dentile pick, and rags. Once it was as clean as it could be I sprayed it with a light machine oil to keep it from rusting. Never had another problem with that mower deck coupling. When there was nothing on the PTO shaft, I would put a tight-fitting plastic sleeve on it to keep it from dirt accumulation.
Thinking about it I did the same thing at one point on my BX2200, but not as extensively as DustyRusty.

I try to lightly oil the driveshaft coupler before installation, and always wipe off the shaft that it goes on with a clean rag, and oil it lightly as well. Generally do this with all PTO couplers.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I recall it was very tight the last time I put it on....needed some persuasion to get it on

grr... YOU made the problem worse !!!!

Now YOU have to 'pay the piper' ,spend 2-3 hours and CLEAN the parts properly, burnish, then lightly oil them. Parts should go together 'silky smooth'.

I've been using red canned Rustcheck as my universal lubricant. GREAT for 540 PTO shafts.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I like Dusty's idea. I would also try to hook up a small ratchet strap to put "some " tension on it. You just need to remember that all the force you are putting on the yoke, is also go onto/into the tractor. Patience is a virtue, slow and steady will get it off with out breaking any thing.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Geeze…I used to grease my shaft splines and inside the collar…was that wrong? All this talk about “light machine oil??😊

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Geeze…I used to grease my shaft splines and inside the collar…was that wrong? All this talk about “light machine oil??😊
As they say, any lubrication is better than no lubrication! 😂

Reactions: 1 user

arml

Equipment
B5100e BX2200 JD455AWS Kubota G1800
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
Well hours of frustration with no luck. Seems a plasma cutter required....nah, just going to live with it as is. Lift it high and crawl under it to maintain it. I sure hope the U joints don't fail.