bx22 no start, no lights, no click

cscheide

Jun 11, 2017
Whitmore, CA
I was using my BX22, 750+/- hours, and had to turn it off to move some stuff out of the way. Got back on less than 2 minutes later and no start, no clicking and no dash lights. If it was a safety interlock I should still have dash lights, just no start, correct?

My first step is to clean the battery terminals and the connections on both ends. but first I have to find the ends! Positive runs to the starter. Where does the negative cable go. Trying to trace it out, looks like it goes down and aft. It was getting late and I was being chewed on by mosquitos so I punted and came here to ask the hive mind.

Does anybody know how long the positive and negative cables are? Positive looks to be around 36", but no idea on the ground. Thanks in advance.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The negative goes to the frame. I would start by using a pair of jumper cables from a good battery and clamping directly to the frame and to the starter to see if the tractor comes alive. If it does, then it is in the battery cables. Your tractor is about 20 years old, so there might be corrosion under the insulation that you can't see. For this reason, I'd invest in 2 new cables. If you can find 6-volt battery cables they are the best because of the greater number of strands in the wire compared to a 12-volt cable.

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I was using my BX22, 750+/- hours, and had to turn it off to move some stuff out of the way. Got back on less than 2 minutes later and no start, no clicking and no dash lights. If it was a safety interlock I should still have dash lights, just no start, correct?

My first step is to clean the battery terminals and the connections on both ends. but first I have to find the ends! Positive runs to the starter. Where does the negative cable go. Trying to trace it out, looks like it goes down and aft. It was getting late and I was being chewed on by mosquitos so I punted and came here to ask the hive mind.

Does anybody know how long the positive and negative cables are? Positive looks to be around 36", but no idea on the ground. Thanks in advance.
There is a 30 amp slow blow fuse that feeds everything. I believe it’s an in-line fuse and not part of the fuse block. It sounds like that fuse may have blown.

There’s a chance this fuse failed since your tractor could be 20 years old. suggest you find this fuse and check it before you do anything else…

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
There is a 30 amp slow blow fuse that feeds everything. I believe it’s an in-line fuse and not part of the fuse block. It sounds like that fuse may have blown.

There’s a chance this fuse failed since your tractor could be 20 years old. suggest you find this fuse and check it before you do anything else…
This diagram is for the BX 2200, but it’s the same tractor as the BX22.

Only caveat is it’s been reported that the last tractors produced right before a model number change might include the wiring of the newer model. So some BX22s MIGHT share the wiring of the BX23.

IMG_1871.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Deleted...got jaxs confused with the oP...
There's always a click. If you understand it is said to CLICK with you. Even if it doesn't click with one there will still be the click from old gamecock's spurs as they strut away after laying it out.
According to what a gamecock said about this kind of thing in an earlier post if we change the current of the voltage source or the voltage of the voltage source or the load resistance across the source linearly and then measure the units, we will produce below result:

V, I, and R Relationship

Non of it clicks with me,I'm still messing around with test lights,wire brushes and sandpaper to deal with no lights/no start situations. c-l-i-c-k

cscheide

Jun 11, 2017
Whitmore, CA
This diagram is for the BX 2200, but it’s the same tractor as the BX22.

Only caveat is it’s been reported that the last tractors produced right before a model number change might include the wiring of the newer model. So some BX22s MIGHT share the wiring of the BX23.

View attachment 129531
Henro - thanks for the suggestion and the schematic. Unfortunately that fuse still tests good.

cscheide

Jun 11, 2017
Whitmore, CA
The negative goes to the frame. I would start by using a pair of jumper cables from a good battery and clamping directly to the frame and to the starter to see if the tractor comes alive. If it does, then it is in the battery cables. Your tractor is about 20 years old, so there might be corrosion under the insulation that you can't see. For this reason, I'd invest in 2 new cables. If you can find 6-volt battery cables they are the best because of the greater number of strands in the wire compared to a 12-volt cable.
Yeah that's actually what I was thinking. The ground cable goes into some split loom that forks, so not easy to just look and see where it goes. Thanks

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Henro - thanks for the suggestion and the schematic. Unfortunately that fuse still tests good.
Have you checked the battery voltage? At some point in my life, someone told me they had a battery open internally, or maybe partially open.

Our tractors bounce around a lot so battery damage could be a possibility. Easy enough check to make if you have a voltmeter. Or probably even a test light.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Have you checked the battery voltage? At some point in my life, someone told me they had a battery open internally, or maybe partially open.

Our tractors bounce around a lot so battery damage could be a possibility. Easy enough check to make if you have a voltmeter. Or probably even a test light.
Take the battery in for a FREE ...load test!

Reactions: 1 user

cscheide

Jun 11, 2017
Whitmore, CA

Henro - battery checks fine, just came off the charger. It was cranking just fine all day, shut it down to talk w/ my wife and just plain dead.

DustyRusty - just installed 2 brand new battery cables today. Still no lights, no click. Any suggestions on where to look now?