BX Service Intervals

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Question, My BX will be two years old next month..It currently has 58 hours on it . Kubota service manual recommends changing the anti freeze and deck gear box 90 wt oil at 2 yrs. Anti freeze is clean and tractor has been kept in a heated garage.. I changed the engine oil and filter at 25 hrs. The Super UDT and filter at fifty hrs, along with two new fuel filters and air filters. Should I wait or change the 90wt gear box oil and the anti freeze next month or wait till the end of the season? What do you guys think?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Do you change your car/truck's coolant at 2 years? I don't . I think I went 6 or 8 anyway. Don't intend to change again for a while.

I do change the gearbox oil annually, but it's just easy to do in the spring. Probably overkill.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Question, My BX will be two years old next month..It currently has 58 hours on it . Kubota service manual recommends changing the anti freeze and deck gear box 90 wt oil at 2 yrs. Anti freeze is clean and tractor has been kept in a heated garage.. I changed the engine oil and filter at 25 hrs. The Super UDT and filter at fifty hrs, along with two new fuel filters and air filters. Should I wait or change the 90wt gear box oil and the anti freeze next month or wait till the end of the season? What do you guys think?
End of season.

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
[ Thanks Guys, I will wait to the end of the season, don't think it's going to harm anything..Much appreciated)

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
tractor has been kept in a heated garage..
I'd change the oil based on engine hours in your case. I use a label printer and sticker the service date and hours on my equipment to help me keep track. Less guessing that way...time goes funny the older we get!

Reactions: 1 user

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
End of season should be fine.
Service intervals are very rarely required to be done at the *exact* time stated. You have a bit of leeway either way.
With that said, the anti corrosion properties of the Kubota coolant leave something to be desired.

Do you change your car/truck's coolant at 2 years? I don't . I think I went 6 or 8 anyway. Don't intend to change again for a while.
DIfferent coolant. Long life coolant has additives that allow it to protect from corrosion long term.
The stuff Kubota puts in the BX doesn't have that.
Not to mention diesels are harder on coolant than gasoline engines.
Though I've read on here these little Kubota diesels don't have that problem. I can't speak from experience there.

Would you run copper plugs as long as you'd run irridium?

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
End of season should be fine.
Service intervals are very rarely required to be done at the *exact* time stated. You have a bit of leeway either way.
With that said, the anti corrosion properties of the Kubota coolant leave something to be desired.

DIfferent coolant. Long life coolant has additives that allow it to protect from corrosion long term.
The stuff Kubota puts in the BX doesn't have that.
Not to mention diesels are harder on coolant than gasoline engines.
Though I've read on here these little Kubota diesels don't have that problem. I can't speak from experience there.

Would you run copper plugs as long as you'd run irridium?
[ The dealership where I purchased the machine used Prestone it's the green not the orange.. So, when the cutting season ends I will definitely change it with fresh and service the gear box.]