Buyer Beware!

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Just got my copy of Compact Equipment tonight and on page 18 was an Ad By Kubota's own "Keith Rohrbacker" warning Kubota owners and new customers in the market for tractors to be aware of grey market backhoes manufactured in Japan and exported into the US Via the Grey Market as NOT SAFE for use in the US because of non-compliance with our Health and Safety Laws. In other words if you purchase a Grey Market Backhoe and put it on a OSHA inspected job site you will be given a violation for lack of ROPS certification, seatbelts, PTO guards missing, warning decals, and no operator's manual on board. Small Contractors with more than five employees on one job are now possible targets for COSHO ( Compliance Safety & Health Officers) according to the field operations manual. Remember a man named Ronald Regan who called OSHA a four letter word. Well, there's a new man in the Whitehouse whose goal is to tax the Rich to pay for increased goverment control. I look for DOL to increase their inspectors by 150% by 2014 if left unchecked by Congress so my wisdom to you is, buy Wisely my friends. ;)

Last edited:

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Vic I put my 'twist' on this article from my background as a Safety Professional. I haven't shared my curriculum vitae here as I find it a target for the American Trial Lawyers Association. I'm sorry, if I have offended the Forum or it integrity... I simply want U.S. contractors to understand the difference "legally" here in the United States. You simply can not put 'Grey Market machines' on Federal Jobs because of our OSHA regulations. They will be opening themselves up to heavy fines for lack of the previously mentioned missing safety items. I sincerely hope you and the other member who read this post understand my point. Let's continue to have fun here, help people and contibute to our Tractor Society. We are special people, very gifted and need to be heard from those who seek our help.:)

Last edited:

John C

Equipment
B7100D, LMC Clipper 400, LMC 4ft Box Blade, NorTrac 47" Tiller
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
Speaking from the position of being a very small contractor (electrical) with 0 employees. I am in total agreement with Vic's posts. I'm curious though what happens if a contractor uses an older domestic model backhoe that was manufactured prior to rops & such will he get the same fines or is this just another attempt to negate the credibility of the grey market tractor? and what if a contractor buys a grey market backhoe and has it retrofitted to meet safety standards? Just curious!
Oh and by the way I agree with Ronald Regan! You can't legislate common sense!

Last edited:

Ed Hill

Equipment
B3000 with Meteor drag snowblower and mid-mount mower; M7040 with accessories
Jun 22, 2009
Wheelock, VT
So the grey machines are bureaucratically unsafe then. Beware big governement. (It is probably too late to say that with any real meaning). Nothing is safe with those who will not think ahead.

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
So the grey machines are bureaucratically unsafe then. Beware big governement. (It is probably too late to say that with any real meaning). Nothing is safe with those who will not think ahead.
Ed... can't say that full-heartedly, but its been around since 1970 long before Kubota exported tractors...see the Williams-Steiger's Act, Public Law 91-596. I posted this message to simply warn members to know the "difference between the markets". To simplify the post down to 'beauracy' wasn't my point. It was to educate and inform members to know the difference. :)