Buy advice on small tractor for FEL duties and grading, need top and tilt

S2DM

Equipment
KX040, KX080, Cat IT12, Cat 320, Deere 210K EP, Cat CP433, Toolcat 5600
Jan 7, 2024
Santa Barbara
Hey There,

We have a 10acre organic avocado farm thats also heavily landscaped, has a lot of walking trails etc. . I had no idea what I was doing when we started, but over time gradually accumulated equipment as we had an extraordinary amount of dirt and rock work to do.

I’m now nearing the end of my project and starting to size down as we get more and more finished. So buying a KX-018 here shortly and looking for a tractor 48” or narrower for finish grading, light shaping of trails and maintenance in these tighter areas. I really need something with top and tilt for the way we’ve designed things. Coming from a Deere 210k which I’m very comfortable on, I recognize it’s going to be a very different experience. But most of these trails I cant even get my toolcat into so I need something small with a Gannon with top and tilt for shaping and maintenance.

I’m leaning towards a B2301, but from what I can tell it’s an aftermarket top and tilt (which I’m fine with doing myself). But only previously having operated an m59 which I ultimately replaced with the Deere 210, I’d love any feedback on how the smallest B series would handle what Im after. Ive read and watched a lot of videos, was just hoping for some directed feedback.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
In general the B2601 is not much more money. No idea what else you might do with it, but the extra HP is useful. I believe there are a lot more B2601s sold than B2301s. Strictly speaking the B series for dirt work is traction limited not HP limited, so arguably it won't do any more work. It'll pull heavier things up hills faster though, and if you ever put a mower or a snow blower or something on it you'll like the extra HP.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hey There,

We have a 10acre organic avocado farm thats also heavily landscaped, has a lot of walking trails etc. . I had no idea what I was doing when we started, but over time gradually accumulated equipment as we had an extraordinary amount of dirt and rock work to do.

I’m now nearing the end of my project and starting to size down as we get more and more finished. So buying a KX-018 here shortly and looking for a tractor 48” or narrower for finish grading, light shaping of trails and maintenance in these tighter areas. I really need something with top and tilt for the way we’ve designed things. Coming from a Deere 210k which I’m very comfortable on, I recognize it’s going to be a very different experience. But most of these trails I cant even get my toolcat into so I need something small with a Gannon with top and tilt for shaping and maintenance.

I’m leaning towards a B2301, but from what I can tell it’s an aftermarket top and tilt (which I’m fine with doing myself). But only previously having operated an m59 which I ultimately replaced with the Deere 210, I’d love any feedback on how the smallest B series would handle what Im after. Ive read and watched a lot of videos, was just hoping for some directed feedback.
Seems reasonable. You might want to look here for an alternative to the third party TNT Kubota provides. Many believe they have a superior product.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
My DIY solution - the mounting block is the DPOCV.

Dan

View attachment 119807
I should have listened to you the first time you told me to do that.

But learning to make that bolt was pretty cool. (y)

For the 'tilt" cylinder, I will probably cobble something like you have together.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You can also get control valves for your top tilt with dual pilot operated check valves installed in them. This is what I did.

Simple, but it does move the check valve further away from the cylinder… If that is a concern.

I have found having float on one of my control valve sections is handy, but float is not compatible with pilot operated check valves. So it’s one or the other.