Bucket hooks again ... weld on vs bolt on

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I think I’m deciding to go weld on. I really wanted to like the bolt on, but after taking a look at the bucket again tonight after my Amazon bolt ons showed up, I think the backing plate will be in the way of the quick attach connector if I put them inline with the loader cylinders.

I do think I can easily weld the hooks on. I was trying to avoid matching the paint or going with a painted hook since the paint will wear off eventually.

For those of you who have welded on, would you do it again?

I’ve read a few comments that suggested a center hook can result in a bent bucket. They didn’t specifically call out the L2501 bucket. A couple of related questions, did you weld on a hook in the center or add a shackle holder to the inside? Would inside be less likely to bend the bucket on the inside or top of the bucket or should I not worry about bending the bucket?

Btw, I planned to only use the bucket hooks inline with the loader cylinders, but I thought I’d ask about a center hook/shackle clevis. I’ll have to round up hooks in any case. I just need to know if I should be looking for 2 or 3.

Thanks in advance. Any other related comments are appreciated.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
mmmmm......

sounds like what is the best oil to use!

OK - kidding, TOmato or toMAto.......

I'll stick to the same logic I did years ago......

Two grade 8 bolts on 1/2" plates bolted through with large flat washers and nylon locking nuts ...........

beat the weld around on the thin bucket any day! :LOL:

then again - my BX aint gonna break a welded bucket nor break the bolts either........

the arguing points are this ............ a weld is weld - either it is good weld or bubble gum imitating a weld, that is not the point...... the thickness OF THE BUCKET at the weld point....... to ME that is the weakest link.

bucket hooks.jpg

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Amazon Bolt-On's? There's your problem LOL.
Could be, but I still only have about 1 1/2 inches to mount them where I want them. In any case, I wanted to make sure that it was clear I wasn’t talking about Ken’s Bolt On Hooks. :D

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Could be, but I still only have about 1 1/2 inches to mount them where I want them. In any case, I wanted to make sure that it was clear I wasn’t talking about Ken’s Bolt On Hooks. :D
If you haven't done so already, check out some of the pictures from Ken's site for configuration ideas. I'd also strongly recommend using his products as he has taken the time to design them for different bucket types and has also strength tested them. Mine arrived this past Saturday and I can't wait to get them on.

Reactions: 1 user

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I like having 3 hooks on bucket like 85 Hokie set up. It works well for all situations. This is on my B2650 which has a nice 1/4" plate on top to weld to. I think your bucket is the same set up. Weld on, and paint.

Attachments

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Measure and pick up a piece of steel to double-up the top of your bucket, and then weld the hooks onto the doubler.
My tractor is larger than yours... but my bucket is a “materials” bucket and not a construction bucket.... so it is a similar situation. So the solution (previous owner did this thankfully) was to lay a 36” X 6” X 1/2” slab of steel on top/behind the upper lip of the bucket and weld it down. This strengthens and prevents the bucket from bending or deforming at all. He then welded a large Clevis top-center onto that doubler.
I wanted Hooks... so I WELDED Hooks on top of that doubler also... in front of the cylinders. Complete satisfaction.
I don’t have a pic of it... except it can be seen in this one I took to demonstrate the LED Lightbar I installed on my grill. Look below/in-front of the lightbar and you can see the Left Hook welded/sitting on top of the 1/2” thick doubler. I doubt you need 1/2” thickness... 1/4” should do fine.

(BTW, rattlecan Rustoleum in Kubota Orange is a perfect match and touch-ups perfectly. Tractor Supply sells it)
9A4E21C8-8E74-4B9F-BD0C-472CD2120491.jpeg

Last edited:

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I decided on 4 hooks and 2 shackles, like the versatility of the 4 hooks. I don't use the ones near the edges when pulling heavy things. In fact last night pulling a small tree that had fallen in the creek, the outside right hook was needed to get the log past a tree still standing.

Good luck and a bucket without hooks truly limits it's ability to help you work.

Bucket Pic.jpg

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Measure and pick up a piece of steel to double-up the top of your bucket, and then weld the hooks onto the doubler.
My tractor is larger than yours... but my bucket is a “materials” bucket and not a construction bucket.... so it is a similar situation. So the solution (previous owner did this thankfully) was to lay a 36” X 6” X 1/2” slab of steel on top/behind the upper lip of the bucket and weld it down. This strengthens and prevents the bucket from bending or deforming at all. He then welded a large Clevis top-center onto that doubler.
I wanted Hooks... so I WELDED Hooks on top of that doubler also... in front of the cylinders. Complete satisfaction.
I don’t have a pic of it... except it can be seen in this one I took to demonstrate the LED Lightbar I installed on my grill. Look below/in-front of the lightbar and you can see the Left Hook welded/sitting on top of the 1/2” thick doubler. I doubt you need 1/2” thickness... 1/4” should do fine.

(BTW, rattlecan Rustoleum in Kubota Orange is a perfect match and touch-ups perfectly. Tractor Supply sells it) View attachment 54951
Geohorn, you must have a really big tractor! That hook looks so small! What size chain fits it? 1/4 inch? Looks great though, job well done...I think I used 3/8 inch grab hooks myself...

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
For those of you who have welded on, would you do it again?
I welded a piece of angle to reinforce the top lip of my bucket, and welded the hooks to the angle. Grab hooks in line with the cylinders, and a slip hook in the middle.

Never regretted the slip hook in the middle...

Yes, I would do it again.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Geohorn, you must have a really big tractor! That hook looks so small! What size chain fits it? 1/4 inch? Looks great though, job well done...I think I used 3/8 inch grab hooks myself...
LOLOL... it’s the hooks sold by my Kubota dealer... they’re claimed to be 5/16 but they accept 3/8” chain. LOL... that pic is taken at an angle that makes it look small because the camera is focused on the LED Lightbar... However, yes, the tractor is Kubota’s large “Utility” model M4700 with a 72” bucket. ZOOM in on that hook and compare it to the steel plate upon which it’s welded... that plate is 1/2” thick... and compare that to the hook’s jaw. ;)

Last edited:

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I have the 2 dealer welded hooks on my BX. They are invaluable. A third one in the middle is on my “to add” list. For that one I will go bolt on instead of welding in a reinforced plate. The middle of the bucket doesn’t have enough meat to it IMO.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have the 2 dealer welded hooks on my BX. They are invaluable. A third one in the middle is on my “to add” list. For that one I will go bolt on instead of welding in a reinforced plate. The middle of the bucket doesn’t have enough meat to it IMO.
I used a slip hook on the center. Not sure it makes any difference for chain, but if I use a strap, since it is kind of round shaped, I think it is more suitable with a strap than a grab hook would be. But there are ways around that as well, so it may be a moot point.

I would probably do the same if I did it again though.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I plan to put grab hooks inline with the loader cylinders and create a chain that is a shallow Y. The short chain will go between the two grab hooks with a slip hook in the middle of the approximately 4 foot chain.

That setup will have the same effect of a center hook without taking a chance of bending the bucket in the middle. In between the slip hook and ends, I’m going to put tubular nylon to slip over each end of the chain.

Pictures once the parts come in and the grab hooks are welded on.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I use straps for everything. Light weight, cheap, plenty strong enough for possibly all compact tractor needs. They don't scratch things up, nice and quiet ,easier than chains to make sturdy "loop" connections. Clevis slip hooks and shackles would be my bucket add ons. I am not a farmer so take it for what its worth.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
This is funny. Should I use weld on hooks?

Or bolt on hooks THAT HAVE BEEN WELDED ON to a plate?

My vote is cut out the middle man (plate).

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
This is funny. Should I use weld on hooks?

Or bolt on hooks THAT HAVE BEEN WELDED ON to a plate?

My vote is cut out the middle man (plate).
I see your point, but it is possible the OP can mount bolt on hooks himself, but might have to find/pay someone to weld hooks on.

So the question could also be, "Is the price it costs me to have someone weld hooks on my bucket worth it? I can install bolt on hooks myself..".

Reactions: 3 users

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Yes, people assume because a guy has a tractor he can weld too, that is hardly the case. Many that can weld still choose the Bolt-On option because they either don't want to wreck the paint on their new buckets, or don't trust their welding.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
He was asking, so I thought BOTH were an option for him.

I thought the "which is better" was funny, that is all.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Yes, people assume because a guy has a tractor he can weld too, that is hardly the case. Many that can weld still choose the Bolt-On option because they either don't want to wreck the paint on their new buckets, or don't trust their welding.
Mine is the latter...