BT603 Leaks While Off Tractor

kbx23s

May 9, 2024
USA
I have a BX23S and when I remove the BT603 backhoe from the tractor it will eventually (from a few days to a few hours) start to leak hydraulic fluid out of the spool valves. It seems that any pressure left in the hydraulic system eventually creeps its way out starting at the spool valve for the swing cylinder right on top of the valve block. I haven't observed any leaks in operation, but I can't say for sure because it makes a mess when parked.

It will happen quicker if parked with the stabilizer legs down which makes sense because there would be pressure on them - the manual I have doesn't specifically mention to set it all the way down on it's belly when parking. Even if I set it all the way down, though, it'll still weep some fluid.

I'm wondering if other BX23 owners can chime in and say whether this is normal or not before I go to the trouble of sending it to a dealership. The couple I've called to inquire about it seem to not know what I'm talking about when I explain the issue... I believe I only have a few months left on the warranty.

Thanks

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have a BX23S and when I remove the BT603 backhoe from the tractor it will eventually (from a few days to a few hours) start to leak hydraulic fluid out of the spool valves. It seems that any pressure left in the hydraulic system eventually creeps its way out starting at the spool valve for the swing cylinder right on top of the valve block. I haven't observed any leaks in operation, but I can't say for sure because it makes a mess when parked.

It will happen quicker if parked with the stabilizer legs down which makes sense because there would be pressure on them - the manual I have doesn't specifically mention to set it all the way down on it's belly when parking. Even if I set it all the way down, though, it'll still weep some fluid.

I'm wondering if other BX23 owners can chime in and say whether this is normal or not before I go to the trouble of sending it to a dealership. The couple I've called to inquire about it seem to not know what I'm talking about when I explain the issue... I believe I only have a few months left on the warranty.

Thanks
Thats a monoblock valve - limitef places for leaks. I would double check all of the hoses and fittimgs to mske sure they are tight.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

kbx23s

May 9, 2024
USA
Thats a monoblock valve - limitef places for leaks. I would double check all of the hoses and fittimgs to mske sure they are tight.

Dan
It's definitely not a hose or fitting - it's creeping past the spool where the control levers attach. I can see it start to puddle as soon as the pressure starts to creep past. Kubota calls it the following part on the diagram. Trying to figure out if other BT603 owners experience this before I either replace that part of the block myself or take it to the dealer for warranty...

SPOOL,KIT(SWING)
7K525-63650

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
It's definitely not a hose or fitting - it's creeping past the spool where the control levers attach. I can see it start to puddle as soon as the pressure starts to creep past. Kubota calls it the following part on the diagram. Trying to figure out if other BT603 owners experience this before I either replace that part of the block myself or take it to the dealer for warranty...

SPOOL,KIT(SWING)
7K525-63650
Looking at the parts diagram that appears to be the spool and no stem seals shown. There would not normally be pressure there. I would say you have pressure buildup on the tank circuit caused by being disconnected. It should not be leaking. Take it to the dealer for warranty service.

If you want to play with it take the quick coupler off the tank return hose and stick the end of the hose in a bucket to see if the leak at the spool stops and oil starts accumulating in the bucket.

Dan

kbx23s

May 9, 2024
USA
The kit includes the spool and the seals.

Hoping a BT603 owner can chime in to add whether anyone else has experienced this either as normal, or whether anyone had luck getting a dealership to service the issue.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The kit includes the spool and the seals.

Hoping a BT603 owner can chime in to add whether anyone else has experienced this either as normal, or whether anyone had luck getting a dealership to service the issue.
It is not normal for a valve to leak there - period.

Dan

kbx23s

May 9, 2024
USA
Looking forward to reports from any BX23/BT603 owners who may have experienced this issue. What happened, was it resolved by you or a dealer, any other info. Thanks.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Looking forward to reports from any BX23/BT603 owners who may have experienced this issue. What happened, was it resolved by you or a dealer, any other info. Thanks.
I would pay attention to Dan's advice. I know I would.

He may not have a BX23S or a BT603 backhoe, but he's REAL savvy with hydraulics.

Take that advice as you choose.

kbx23s

May 9, 2024
USA
I would pay attention to Dan's advice. I know I would.

He may not have a BX23S or a BT603 backhoe, but he's REAL savvy with hydraulics.

Take that advice as you choose.
Thanks - I'm not discounting anyone's advice here. I can certainly come to the conclusion to take it to a dealer as well, however I'm a little apprehensive as I've never dealt with the Kubota service network before and many of the dealers I've spoken to had little interest in discussing the issue and instead just wanted to tell me how busy they were and that they wouldn't have time for my BX.

I'm really just trying to solicit any real world experiences with this issue, if anyone has them, before I waste too much of my time on the dealer go around. We use the machine daily so any information I can gather to speed the process along will help me.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks - I'm not discounting anyone's advice here. I can certainly come to the conclusion to take it to a dealer as well, however I'm a little apprehensive as I've never dealt with the Kubota service network before and many of the dealers I've spoken to had little interest in discussing the issue and instead just wanted to tell me how busy they were and that they wouldn't have time for my BX.

I'm really just trying to solicit any real world experiences with this issue, if anyone has them, before I waste too much of my time on the dealer go around. We use the machine daily so any information I can gather to speed the process along will help me.
Take the quick coupler off the tank hose and put the hose in a coffee can. Dollars to donuts the leak stops and the oil all winds up in the can. If thats the case you can:

1. Live with the coffee can work around
  2. Replace the leaking spool in the hope a new one seals better than the old one
  3. Start a problem report with a dealer over what they will probably consider a nusiance leak and CYA while still under warranty.
Once the warranty expires you will be on the hook for the price of parts and that may well be a $2500 valve.

Dan

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
In the real world, if it is still under warranty, I don't ever ask for advise, I take it to the dealer for a warranty repair. Last January I had a hip replacement. I didn't need to know all the details all I had to know is that it was done correctly and that it worked the way that it should.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

Thanks
I owned a BX25TLB for five years. It came with the BT602 backhoe and I never had any such leaks. The only issue I had was that three hoses needed to be replace after three or four years. They had failed at the interface between the hose and the fitting.

My current tractors will pick up the rock shown in the second photo like it's a piece of popcorn, but all I could go was drag it with the BX25TLB.

bx25d.jpg

bx25d_rock.jpg