Brush hogging question from a new guy

DingoA7X

Equipment
L3240 cab, LA724 FEL, Brush hog, snow blower, manure spreader, harrow, discs
Nov 24, 2011
Spring Creek, NV
Hi:
I have run geared transmission tractors all my life, and just this fall finally took the plunge into the HST world with an L3240 cab (the cab was the thing that really sold me). So, last weekend I decided to do some brush hogging (mainly tall grass). I put the tractor in low, and running around 2600 rpm the ground speed is much faster than I am used to. The result is that the grass is very erratically cut; some high, some all right, some in between. How can I keep the rpms up but slow this machine down? :confused:

Thanks.
Bob

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
With an HST you should be able to just crawl in either high or low range.
You know you don't have to put the treadle to the floor, just feather it up to the speed for the density of what you are cutting at the moment.

DingoA7X

Equipment
Nov 24, 2011
Spring Creek, NV
Thanks. The other thing I figured out (duh!) is that if you flip the H-DS lever into slow mode, ground speed is greatly reduced. This modern technology is wonderful, as soon as learn what each thing does!

DingoA7X

Equipment
Nov 24, 2011
Spring Creek, NV
Thanks for the advice TripleR. Will check the manual once more. It is apparent that even though I have read the manual, certain things escaped me! :D

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I usually have to read the manual a couple of times, drive the tractor then go back and look for specifics. We even keep the manual on our 8540 and an extra at the house.