Brownout Protection Suggestions

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
My sister lives in Puerto Rico and life over there presents constant challenges. She has a reservoir water tank with a pump to supply water with pressure to the house when the city water is not available (almost every day and at least a few hours). The system works fairly well but a new kink has shown up. Besides the water service being erratic, the electrical power is worse. Not only are there blackouts but there are also brownouts. The type of standard pump that the plumbers install down there are susceptible to the brownouts. The first pump she lost was due to hurricane Maria because of lack of use since she had no power for 7 months. The second one recently died due to a brownout. When the pump was replaced after the hurricane, a standard outdoors electrical box with GFI was installed so that when the electrical power fails, she has the option to connect the pump to the generator or the solar panels with a 3000 Watt inverter. I initially thought that a regular refrigerator surge protector could be plugged in but the gang box and cover are too small and the lid would not close. I have been looking at other options for an inline or breaker box connection but either they are for 240 volts, not 120 or they require 24 volts for A/C thermostat sensing. Any suggestions about what can be used to provide the brownout protection?

IMG_20220602_173307.jpg

IMG_20190725_102259754_BURST001.jpg
IMG_20190725_101447601_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Check out this blog link. The relays may be your best bet. I’m surprised that’s not a 220v pump motor. But it is what it is. Check the current draw. Amazon Carrie’s some of the 110v transformers.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Used to use SOLA constant voltage transformers..held the output to 118VAC, 1% regulation no matter how 'dirty' the incoming voltage was. Not cheap but dang near bullet proof, ran computers off them for decades.
the term 'brownout' means a drop in line voltage. Instead of the '120 VAC' it can dip or drop to 110, 100,105, up and down.
a 'ups' may work, depending on HOW it 'sense' a problem with the incoming power BUT you need one big enough to handle the load ( the pump).
another possible option is to use a DC powered water pump. Very common with 'off the grid' types. Pump runs off batteries, batteries get recharge by solar/wind/ local power. Think 'Pony pump', bit bigger, depending on true water needs(PSI , GPM and time required)