Battery Powered Brush Cutter recommendation

terrib972

Equipment
B7100D tractor, Land Pride 48" cutter
May 20, 2020
McKinney, TX
To reduce the number of engines I had to maintain or learn to use after my husband died, I bought several Ryobi 18V battery powered tools - chain saw, pole saw, weed eater, etc. For the most part, they are sufficient for the size jobs I'm willing to tackle. However, I am in need of a brush cutter to keep stuff cleared around farm implements, trailers and such parked along the fence row. A regular weed eater won't cut it with the briars and other woody stuff that grows in the area. Also, 18V isn't going to cut it.

Do any of you have a battery powered brush cutter that you'd recommend that doesn't cost a fortune? My initial searches are coming up with 5-600 dollars which is a bit high for the amount of use I have in mind. I'm hoping for maybe 1/2 that.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Maybe a chainsaw type of blade

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
My dad uses a Dewalt 20V Chainsaw and Dewalt 20V Hedge trimmers to clear along the fence lines. It saves him from having to maintain engines and having to pull start the motors.

He also has several Ryobi tools and really likes them, one of them being the battery powered sprayer which he loves using around the barns to keep the weeds and brush from growing up.

With that being said, the tougher stuff he leaves for me and/or the grandsons and we tackle those. He has three trees that he is wanting taken down which is a project for us this weekend. At 74, he is slowly starting to admit there are some projects he needs to let us tackle, but he usually will try them on his own first.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You might look at using a reciprocating saw with a wood cutting blade to cut down the saplings. You would have to get down on your knees or sit on a low stool to cut them off at the ground.
You may be able to hire someone once a year to cut them down and then try to use a lawn mower to keep them under control for some time.

I have a Echo gas powered brush cutter and you will want to have a handle bar system to control the brush cutter.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
You might look up the recipe for home made weed killer. It is a combination of vinegar, salt and soap. Move the implements and mow the area. Then use the weed killer to keep it neat. Since I can no longer walk I have been looking at buying a propane gas weed eater.....

Strap a BBQ tank to a hand truck and burn them darn weeds. With the long hose you would not need to move it often.