“Barn Find”

Scott1975

Equipment
LX2610
Apr 4, 2024
New Hampshire
Hello all, I’m a newbie here, trying to navigate my way around the site.

I recently came across an opportunity to buy a tractor that a customer I was doing work for has sitting in the barn, she said it came with the house when she bought it a couple years ago and doesn’t plan on using it, I figured why not make her an offer, another tractor couldn’t hurt, right?
It’s a Kubota BX2230
I’m guessing manufacturing year around 2005
Has 1000 hrs on it and started up fairly easy, a quick once over I’d say it’s in good shape with evidence of regular use.
It’s comes with the front loader and a back blade
It DOES NOT have the mower deck.
I’m pretty new to the wonderful world of tractors and was looking for advice of what would be a fair price to offer her for it!!
I should have taken pics but unfortunately I didn’t.

I appreciate any advice

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

I recently came across an opportunity to buy a tractor that a customer I was doing work for has sitting in the barn, she said it came with the house when she bought it a couple years ago and doesn’t plan on using it, I figured why not make her an offer, another tractor couldn’t hurt, right?
It’s a Kubota BX2230
Has 1000 hrs on it and started up fairly easy, a quick once over I’d say it’s in good shape with evidence of regular use.
I’m pretty new to the wonderful world of tractors and was looking for advice of what would be a fair price to offer her for it!!

I appreciate any advice
Finding a mid-mount deck wont be easy. If it starts, runs, and operates well something in the $4k-$5k range is probably fair to both parties. She might sell for less but could probably get that or more if she put some effort into it.

Its a nice lawn mower witout the mower part so that alone would make it uninteresting to me.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
$5,000 would be a bargain. You could always buy a 3pt finish mower.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I agree 5K is reasonable and very fair TO YOU!

But ask HER first for a figure.

She might say I have no idea what it worth and you will say ........ what are you thinking?

If she does that - then throw a number at her.

NEVER offer someone that knows nothing about the subject matter ......... you typically end up speeding more than you need too.

Then again if she is a "friend" then offer her at the end a decent price. The same thing happened to me when I bought a Jeep last year, was going to offer something way too low, but my heart got in the way and offered her a fair to both of use price - she jumped on it as I am sure this person will.

Shoot some pictures when you can

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
OP are you certain a mower deck isn't somewhere else in the barn, on the property...??

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Look for the lifting arms on it - if the lifting arms for the deck are there, then the deck is probably somewhere around.

Do you have a use for it without a deck?

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Normal selling price for that would be in the $10k range.

Little confused why everyone is focusing on a mower deck.
Its tractor with a loader and a blade, that alone make it a very useful tractor.

Reactions: 5 users

Scott1975

Equipment
LX2610
Apr 4, 2024
New Hampshire
I agree 5K is reasonable and very fair TO YOU!

But ask HER first for a figure.

She might say I have no idea what it worth and you will say ........ what are you thinking?

If she does that - then throw a number at her.

NEVER offer someone that knows nothing about the subject matter ......... you typically end up speeding more than you need too.

Then again if she is a "friend" then offer her at the end a decent price. The same thing happened to me when I bought a Jeep last year, was going to offer something way too low, but my heart got in the way and offered her a fair to both of use price - she jumped on it as I am sure this person will.

Shoot some pictures when you can
Great advice, thank you
I’ll try and get some pics when I get back to the work site

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I agree 5 K cash and look around the deck might just be burried some place in the barn

Scott1975

Equipment
LX2610
Apr 4, 2024
New Hampshire
Look for the lifting arms on it - if the lifting arms for the deck are there, then the deck is probably somewhere around.

Do you have a use for it without a deck?
I’ll take a closer look when I get the chance
I figured for a decent price it would be something I could use the loader for jobs in tighter spaces I can’t get in with the LX2610 or skid steer
If anything something to play around with and likely won’t have a problem getting my money back, if I decide to not to keep it if for the right price

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

It’s a Kubota BX2230

I appreciate any advice
I'll drive up to "Cow Hampshire", and buy it for $5K,.......just tell me where it is!

• Haha

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
How much would you sell your B2601 for?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I’ll take a closer look when I get the chance
I figured for a decent price it would be something I could use the loader for jobs in tighter spaces I can’t get in with the LX2610 or skid steer
If anything something to play around with and likely won’t have a problem getting my money back, if I decide to not to keep it if for the right price
If you have a use for it, then $5K or more is well spent. If you have no use for it, then any money is too much. :)

If she's a friend, or someone you'd consider a friend, I'd be careful about under paying, that can leave a bad taste. If I was buying it cheap I'd show a couple online listings and say "looks like it could be worth up to $10K if you wanted to sell it online. It's not worth $10K to me, but if you're just going to let it sit there and rot, I'd give you $5K for it.

Then it's clear where she stands, and if she wants to do the work of selling it she could get more. If she doesn't care, then at least someone's not going to tell her later that you took advantage of her.

Reactions: 3 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

It’s a Kubota BX2230

I appreciate any advice
When you say ‘doing work’…were you charging for service or doing a favor? If charging, I’d ask what the owner wants for it and if it’s a good deal, offer to take the value off the bill and figure out what you owe the owner if the price is more than what you were going to get paid. If doing a favor, I assume it’s a friend (?), again I’d ask what they’d take for it and decide what it’s worth to you. Maybe suggest they think it over and let you know in a couple days. Let the owner decide what they want for it. It may not be worth anything to owner and they may be happy to have it out of the way.

As far as having a second tractor…I am not aware of a reason not to have more than one. 😉

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
As I read the first post I believe the person owning the tractor is a woman, and since the OP is dealing with her I'd guess she's the one in charge and may be by herself. Maybe not, but that;s what I read into it.

If the owner was someone's mother, aunt, sister, niece would try to get a bargain deal from her? Find out what a fair price is in your area, show her evidence of your discovery and make a fair offer. Don't take what you know about tractors and present it as the woman ought to be glad you're wanting to buy it.

If you can't treat the woman fair, leave it alone.

Reactions: 4 users